NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

High power Lunar with st80

mark81

Hi all

I have read a number of threads recently about high power for the ST80. We know that this scope is great for low power wide field and the only reason you would want a high power EP is I this was your only scope and you want ed to push it best you could. Often the recommendation is a highly priced Explore scientific 6.3mm or the Meade 5000 but at well over the cost for the ST80 I guess it puts some people off.

I came across a SW UWA 6mm a couple of months back and had a couple of sessions with it on the Moon but only managed it in afternoon skies.  Last night was perfect, black skies and a great looking Moon.  At x67 the image is very nice and crisp, perfect for picking out some of the larger craters and features but not enough to resolve some of the finer details. I added a Barlow which pushes it to x133 and I was actually blown away with the results - lots of great little features that x67 just doesn't show up and real texture showing up inside the craters.  Ok, comparing to the view through a Mak or a longer f ration scope there is no comparison but they really were pleasing. The nice chunk of glass on top and  comfortable chair seemed to work brilliantly.  Well worth the £33

Mark

1555158386808147171431.jpg

1555158464476483997454.jpg

Adding something like Baader solar continuum filter is really going to transform such scope into lunar machine.

Said filter completely removes any blur due to CA, and helps a lot with seeing as well.

Only drawback is deep green cast and price (compared to scope and EP used).

The Star Travel refractors can give some very pleasing images even at high powers, if you get a good one! A friend of mine, sadly nolonger with us, bought a 4" ST back in 2004, and as part of my attempt to push it over the edge I stuck a 3X Televue barlow in it and a short focal length eyepiece,  (can't remember what focallength), then aimed it at a 5 arc second diameter Mars. You could have blown both of us down with a feather as we stared in amazement at Syrtis Major smack bang in the middle of the tiny disc. Id say dont be afraid to barlow your 80mm ST and really push it. On a good night it might surprise you!

Archived