another resolution topic

hi all im using an atik 414ex on a ts100 quad ,but notice as i zoom in the image starts to get a little pixelated,is this a good match or like in photography more pixels allow a better zoom in if you know what i mean? thanks

Your image scale is about 2arcsecs/pixel, and whether that is a good or bad figure is open to discussion. ......... !

I'd say 1 arcsec/pixel wouldn't be oversampling too much and would allow for some cropping of images before pixellation becomes obvious.

So see what it's like trying a Barlow when you image .

Michael 

1 hour ago, iwols said:

how would the 414 stand against the zwo 1600 which has half the pixel size?

To be honest the best I normally hope for is 1.5 - 2.0 when factoring in seeing. 

You will mainly notice the ASI1600mm pro has a larger field of view and that allows you to zoom into the image more before you notice the pixels and gives the impression of more detail without necessarily delivering higher resolution in terms of resolved arcseconds per pixel. You would likely do as well to make a two panel images with the 414. 

However, on those few nights when the seeing is up to it then you will see better resolved detail on the ASI1600mm pro and of course you will be able to capture larger images in a single frame. 

But owning a ASI1600mm pro as I do, I would caution that it has its problems as a sensor (micro-lens reflections) and requires a different approach to imaging than your CCD, it also benefits from more expensive filters with better Anti Reflection coatings. 

Adam 

Archived