M97 - Owl - more data

Jarvo

Hi All. First time out with the new Guidescope and Esprit 100ED setup. This is my first attempt at guiding. Took the opportunity to add more data to the Owl I did last month.

The tracking still needs refining but the Guidescope itself is a thing of beauty and has pinpoint stars.

I'm guiding through the EQ5s ST4 port with PHD2. PHD2 took a bit of setting up but all of a sudden the stars appeared and I could make a start.

My camera has a limited bulb function - you cannot specify after 60 seconds what you want but you can just leave it open and it gives you 8 minutes - probably too much but I wanted a proper test - I'll throttle it back in future sessions and make sure those stars are round.

I used an OIII filter with an IR cut filter and in total there is now around 1 hour 34 minutes. I use the noise reduction facility on the camera so didn't take any dark frames.

Really pleased as a test session to get everything focussed and aligned - this is an art form swapping between finders and guidescopes.

Think I'm going to leave the Owl for now though as M104 & M51 are coming into view now (My favourite galaxies).

Thanks for looking.

Jarvo1292486743_M9752f01h34m0sv1.thumb.png.4cadcfa3f430c2fa0cc766c61ec206ba.png

Archived