SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ5 motors Large Backlash, Play, Slop.

johneta

I want to fix the backlash  (particularly Dec) on my Non-GoTo Starwatcher EQ5

You can adjust the mechanical backlash quite well on the eq5. BUT the motors themselves have a few seconds of backlash!!

If you unscrew the motor and run it by itself. -Now set the rate to 2x on the  hand controller so the motor is running slow but you can still see it moving.

hit the left button on the dec motor and watch the cog move. Now hit the right button on the controller - you will see that the cog does not begin to move in the opposite direction for 2-3 seconds !!   In that period of no movement, you can hear the motor is turning, but there is no movement of the shaft itself for 2-3 seconds.

So there is a large amount of backlash in the internal gears of the motor itself. I have just discovered this.

Im thinking of looking for some replacement motors. Anyone found a solution for this??

When I converted mine, I used a pair of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Torque-Nema-17-Stepper-Motor-60Ncm-85oz-in-0-64A-CNC-3D-Printer-Extruder/121681232843?hash=item1c54c443cb:g:fJkAAOSwCZ5VfnDj

This was done as part of an upgrade from the non-goto to full remote control using an AstroEq controller etc. see https://www.astroeq.co.uk/downloads.php

+1 for the Nema 17 motors and belt mod. Tom Carpenter's AstroEQ is an excellent design.

But also, I found a huge amount of end float on the worm shaft on my EQ5. Tightening up the bearing (in very small increments) made quite a difference to the DEC backlash reported by PHD2.

Archived