Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need some input on binning and exposure in LRGB

Datalord

Since I only started LRGB shooting in full anger this year I'm fumbling my way forward in binning and exposure times. Recently I've tried:

1. L-bin1-300s + RGB-BIN2-180S.

2. L-BIN2-180S + RGB-BIN2-180S

3. L-BIN1-180S + RGB-BIN2-30S

First, bin 1 gives me a resolution of 0.55"pp which is massively over sampled. Bin2 is obviously double up. 

I'm right now experimenting with the processing and outcomes of these three and it seems like I might get the best results from #2, at least when it comes to detail in lum. But should I then reduce RGB to shorter exposure to prevent color from bleeding? 

Have to also say that 180s bin2 is very close to full saturation on stars. 

Just looking for experiences I might use in my experiments. 

You are probably oversampling with Bin2 as well, but that is besides the point for your question.

Do you have any idea what sort of star FWHM you get in your subs or after stacking (in arc seconds)?

Option two is the best out of three listed, but exposure times seem too low. What is your setup (I see multiple scopes listed)? I guess you should probably go with much longer subs if you are using G3-16200 camera. Something like 10 minutes.

\If you are worried about saturated stars, there is "simple fix" for that. You will just need it for color. For luminance that is not needed, after stretch most stars end up with cores at 100% brightness anyway - not like you need or have any details in star cores. Color on the other hand should not be saturated as you loose proper RGB ratio if any of channels is clipping. For this you can use "simple fix" - do you regular imaging with long exposures and grab couple very short exposures at the end. In short exposures make sure no stars saturate. Stack long subs to their own stack and short subs to their own stack but make sure they are registered to same sub (aligned) - then it is just matter of replacing color in clipped stars with color from short stack (you just need to replace cores of saturated stars).

Archived