Burning bright M42

david_taurus83

Captured this over 2 nights at the beginning of Feb. Only my second LRGB attempt with the ASI1600MM from my streetlight infested back garden. I was unsure how the individual filters would come out. Looking S-SE over the worst offending streetlight from 7pm onward, I was worried all i'd see after stretching would be a horrible glare. But the IDAS D2 has done a wonderful job of keeping it at bay. Yes, had to use DBE in PI to remove gradients but still got the desired result. I know now I don't have to stick solely to narrowband from the back garden. Woop!

Core is all blown out. I like a bright core in M42 but i think even this is a little too much for me. Still, I have no shorter subs for this so it will have to do for now. Managed to capture some of the faint non emission stuff as well. I might start a yearly capture of this target to try and improve. I've been a bit artistic with the old saturation levels as well. ?

WO GT71 at F4.6 (336mm)

ASI1600MM Pro

Baader LRGB filters

240 x 30s Lum

120 x 30s Red

120 x 30s Green

120 x 30s Blue

Total of 5 hours integration. All pre and post processing done in Pixinsight.

David.?

M42_SCNR.jpg

51 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

Great image- considering the light pollution.

Thanks. The more I look at it the more I'm thinking it's not finished. I think because I've started to pick up the brown dust it's at a level where it doesnt quite separate from the background just yet. So I'll prob aim to gather at least the same volume of data next year. Undecided though if I should actually tame the centre. Its brightness has grown on me. Definitely no brighter though.

Nice M42 Dave and I agree, the core of M42 is bright and if in an image you're going for an accurate representation of the nebula then it should be bright. Otoh if you want to bring detail to the core then a blend is needed. I suppose that's what makes it such a difficult target, getting that blend of detail and brightness just right.

Archived