NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice re mount

I currently own an orion optics (uk) 8  inch Newtonian with a focal length of 1200 mms mounted on a Vixen gp mount on a pedestal. This set up is not motorized.  In 2015 I sought advice about an upgrade and was informed that an eq3 upgrade would fit my mount and give me goto facility. I did not go ahead with the upgrade but wish to do so now. The upgrade costs  £300 from rother valley optics. My question is should I do the above upgrade or bite the bullet and get a new mount. I am toying with the idea of the heq5 pro. Would that be a suitable mount or would something else be better suited.

My advice is to buy the biggest mount your wallet, and your back, will handle.
The comment about your back can be ignored for a permanent installation.

This gives you maximum flexibility on future scope purchases.

Should you succumb to aperture fever when offered a 10" or 12" newt, a bigger mount will handle it.

The 'portable use' TAL200K I have weighs in around 12Kg.

My MN78 tips the scales at almost 20Kg with finder, eyepiece, etc. Definitely a fixed installation.

Hope this helps, David.

Archived