Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A quick visit to M45

discardedastro

Just a spur of the moment thing with the brilliant seeing last night, thought I'd try something I haven't tried before and shoot M45.

ASI183MM-PRO, 200PDS, MPCC coma corrector, Baader LRGB filters. 10x120S L, 10x240S RGB. Fairly standard PI workflow, deconvolved L and used photometric colour correction.

M45-deconv-lrgb-lesscontrast.thumb.jpg.68c11fe4d71ff2a597b8fdb6258780e9.jpg

Clearly got some flares/halos through this (the LRGB smudges in a couple of places) and rushed through processing a bit but quite happy overall. I also took shorter exposures - looking forward to seeing what I can do with those.

If I am reading that correctly, you took shorter Luminance subs than with the colour filters? This is quite unusual. I think most people tend to use longer L (for detail) and shorter or even binned RGB.

That said, the result is very good. The way the nebulous strands are not concentric around the star, but seem almost to have been painted over it, always strikes me as a little weird and you have definitely captured that effect.

Yes, shorter/fewer L than R/G/B; still getting used to mono capture and learning the ropes. I did rush through the processing on this one, spent about an hour or so from calibration through to completion; I think I'll revisit it in future and try some longer luminance exposures!

Archived