NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Second hand Baader UHC-s vs New Explore Scientific UHC

Hi All,

Here it is, my first newby question: Second hand Baader UHC-s (on here for GBP 40+? shipping / 57 euro) vs New Explore Scientific UHC (on Amazon 50 euro)

what would you do ?

p.s. why is there no dedicated Filter groep/topic .... ?

There probably isn't much to chose between them optically, but the threads tend to be better on Baader filters, plus they have a knurled finish on the edge, making them easier to screw and unscrew in the cold and the dark. 

P.S. Were you looking at the 1.25 or 2in filters, on FLO's website the Baader 1.25in is £58, the ES one £44, in 2in they are £98 and £66 respectively

John

40 minutes ago, johnturley said:

There probably isn't much to chose between them optically, but the threads tend to be better on Baader filters, plus they have a knurled finish on the edge, making them easier to screw and unscrew in the cold and the dark. 

P.S. Were you looking at the 1.25 or 2in filters, on FLO's website the Baader 1.25in is £58, the ES one £44, in 2in they are £98 and £66 respectively

John

1.25's

Assuming that the filter will be used with your 90mm catadioptric I'd probably go for the Baader UHC-S filter on the grounds that its band pass width was designed with smaller apertures in mind. The Explore Scientific UHC would still work OK though but I suspect that the glass and coatings used on the Baader would be better quality.

3 minutes ago, John said:

Assuming that the filter will be used with your 90mm catadioptric I'd probably go for the Baader UHC-S filter on the grounds that its band pass width was designed with smaller apertures in mind. The Explore Scientific UHC would still work OK though but I suspect that the glass and coatings used on the Baader would be better quality.

Top,  Thank you, waiting on the owner if it is still for sale ??

Archived