Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading SkyWatcher Motor Controller and Synscan Hand Controller from Mac OS X

Pogo007

My environment: running Mac OS X Mojave on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports).  Your experience may vary.

1) Within Mac OS I installed Parallels Desktop Lite which has a free 15-day trial and includes Windows 10

2) In Windows OS I downloaded the HC and MC loaders and firmware files  into a Synscan folder.

3) Since my laptop only has USB C ports I used my USB C hub adapter (see link) to provide two USB 3 ports

https://zerolemon.com/products/imempro-type-c-hub-adapter-for-apple-macbook-pro-2016-2017-shipping-to-us-only

4) I connected a USB to serial adapter with Prolific 2303 chipset (see link) for Windows ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_1 to the RS-232 cable supplied with my Skywatcher telescope. ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_1

5) In Mac OS X I downloaded and installed the PL2303 Chip Driver for Mac OS, rebooted my laptop and, when prompted, indicated that the driver was to be used in Mac OS (not sure what would have happened if I had selected Windows). Anyone?

6) I launched Parallels to the Windows 10 OS and then followed the instructions for installing the HC firmware update. Success #1

7) I used the Synscan to select PC Direct Mode in the Utilities menu.

? From Windows 10 OS I launched the MC firmware loader. Success #2.

Easy peazy, sort of. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi  i have a macbook pro which i have now setup to control my SCT telescope.All i have left is the problem of using the Hitecastro dc focus controller to control my adapted SW focus motor.( No official support for Mac OS sadly) I have to admit i never heard of Paralles desktop lite.Would loading this onto my mac enable me to download the Hitecastro software to control the focuser you think?.Or take it a step further would it allow me to download and use Astrophotography tool ?

Hi Nebula.  I can't say for sure but I think it is likely that this would work.  The only problem, if it does work, is that you will eventually have to purchase the license for Windows.

On 30/03/2019 at 23:58, Pogo007 said:

Hi Nebula.  I can't say for sure but I think it is likely that this would work.  The only problem, if it does work, is that you will eventually have to purchase the license for Windows.

As I understand it, and I can't remember where I read it but I did read it, with Win 10 you actually don't need to purchase a Windows license. It will let you run any applications you like for as long as you like on the free download. It will, however, occasionally politely remind you that you don't have a license, and there are certain fairly non-essential things you can't do, like personalize your desktop with your own pictures: it says something like "you need a license to do this". But PixInsight, MS Office etc are all "full use" on it.

I run Windows 10 on my MacBook pro via VMWare Fusion, and used it like that for 18 months before finally coughing up.

Cheers, Magnus

Edited by Captain Magenta

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

Just saw your post. I am in the same boat. Have a MacBook Pro (and a MacBook Air). I am trying to update the MC firmware on my Skywatcher GOTO 14" Dobson.  If I understand it correctly, with your PC connected to the SynscanAZ handset, you were able to update the MC software? 

Thanks!