Jellyfish and Monkey's Head

This photo was taken just to see what I could get with the Moon in the vicinity.  The filter is a 3nm Ha, and it didn't do  too bad at all.    I'm fairly sure that there is a lot more faint stuff that should be in the shot, but I couldn't even come near to  separating it from the moon glow.  Still,  I'm very pleased with the result.

The photo is two frames.  Each consists of 14 x 120s binned 2x2. 

OTA  FSQ 106ED at F3.6,  EQ6 with EQMOD,  STL6303e.

JellyGimpc.jpg

JellyGimpcCdC.jpg

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

I really like the way you have superimposed the image on a star map, very very nice.

Thats a great image too despite the conditions.  It cleared up here after midnight, but I couldnt bring myself to head out and set up :(

I like to superimpose the images because it gives me a better feel for what is actually up in the sky.  It is a very simple process in PS or the Gimp.  The bottom layer has a screenshot of CdC.  The layer above has the real image, which is scaled and rotated to line up the stars.  The result is saved as a JPEG.

I did find it quite hard to work up the enthusiasm last night.  However, a few months ago I decided to try to learn about my equipment and my software.  One of the results is that I am trying things out that I just wouldn't have bothered with before.  The benefits have been much greater than I expected.  I'm also learning bucket loads, including all sorts of stuff that I didn't realise was possible.

First of all I love this widefield shot and also how you have superimposed the image on the star map.  Thanks for explaining how you did it.  

Am not sure whether I can ask in this thread about your equipment?  I have the FSQ106ed and the NEQ6 and have been wondering about the reducer as I love widefield - it obviously works very well ?  I also wonder if the extender works as well?

Perhaps admin will tell me if I should have started another thread - apologies if I should!

Annie

2 hours ago, oldannie said:

First of all I love this widefield shot and also how you have superimposed the image on the star map.  Thanks for explaining how you did it.  

Am not sure whether I can ask in this thread about your equipment?  I have the FSQ106ed and the NEQ6 and have been wondering about the reducer as I love widefield - it obviously works very well ?  I also wonder if the extender works as well?

Perhaps admin will tell me if I should have started another thread - apologies if I should!

Annie

The Reducer works very well for me.  I need flat frames - a bit.  Apart from that it works brilliantly.

I've never had great success with the extender, but I am going to start using it in earnest in the next month or so.  When I tried it before, I didn't understand flats and the vignetting looked horrific.   I've just made myself a flat box, so I will know more in a month or so. 

The chip in my camera is 27mm x 18.

When I tried it in the past, I didn't really understand flat fields, and the vignetting seems quite strong. 

EDIT:  I think that there isn't enough diameter to the glass in the extender - but I really do stand to be corrected here.  As the extender is a 2" push fit (both sides), I suppose you could try any extentender to see how you get on.

Archived