Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Eyepiece Compromise ??

Kai

Reading between the lines am i right in saying that for F5/4 Dobs the Baader Hyperions offer a good compromise between performance and pricing.

The reason for the question is that i (amongst others) will be getting a large dob next year but although i have a range of eyepieces they would suffer in a fast reflector.

Opinions......

I think there might be a significant difference between f/5 and f/4, but, yeah, the Hyperion's are considered a good balance of price and performance. For a bit more cash you might consider the William Optics UWANs too, especially if you can find them used. With those you're getting a very good fraction of Nagler performance in all but the fastest 'scopes.

I use the Hyperions with my dob, it's f4.5 and I think they are a good match.

Only problem I'm having is I cannot reach focus using the 2" nosepiece, this is due to needing about another 20mm of travel in the focuser, but keep it to 1.25" and they are very good.

As far as I can see they are not parfocal.

I would say stars are a little elongated towards the very outer reaches but in the centre they are spot on.

I reckon Hyperions are a pretty good compromise but I believe that below F/5 things get a lot more challenging for eyepieces. As Ben says, UWAN's offer very close to Nagler-like performance at a lower cost - but Naglers are coming down in price on the used market as well (probably thanks to the temptations that the Ethos offers :D ) - I've seen Nagler T6's going for around £120.

John

I'd go along with the Hyperion being a good compromise. I've got all of the shorter lengths (3.5, 5, 8, 13, 17 mm's) versions and they work pretty well in my f5 newt although if I was looking to use them in a faster scope I'd might consider a coma corrector.

Tony..

Archived