NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another of those beginner types.

Health wise - It was removal of what remains of my bowel pretty much. Thats done. Thats not going to affect this. The issue that was likely to cause issues (sometimes) is osteoporisis which led to spinal fractures. Though its been over a year since that happened - and I am being treate dfor the osteoporosis, and most of the time  I don't have back pain. Because of the absence of stomach muscles from all the surgery, plus back not being at it's best I simply need to be careful rather than unable to carry it.  However if you think the weight is likely to be problematic for someone with back issues - then I can consider other options.

The main thing I'd like to observe is planets and their moons (where possible) - I appreciate home scopes probably can't view moons on some planets as they are simply too far away or not refflective enough. It would be nice to be able to observe other galaxies or interstellar objectrs but I don't klnow how practical that would be. I would consider spending a bit more to get a better all round package to suit me, but I don't want to go too overboard.

Nebul's post with the skymax 127 -  was an alternative - including the addons suggested and maybe that might be a better option given it's lighter - plus its a goto.

Glad your surgery went well. The 200P is a great choice and I am very pleased with mine. With regard to portability I found it a bit of a chore, especially with the base. My solution was to build a trolley base, mount a water butt base and fit them all together with the scope. I can now set up in about 2 minutes. This solution is assuming you have no steps etc. If you need further details just let me know.

Edited by banjaxed
Wrong word.

If you haven't pressed the order button yet, I would suggest that since this will be your first scope, and in view of your medical condition, you not try to buy a 'keeper' or 'lifetime' scope but buy a smallish good quality scope that will let you get your bearings with amateur observing, and get an upgrade later in the light of experience.

I don't now own the scope with which I re-started amateur astronomy, though I do still own and use the 127mm Mak I bought second.

It does not matter critically what you buy as a starter. A Newtonian or Mak of 127 aperture or more will let you do some observing of planets and deep sky objects, and keep you entertained for a long time.  Note that Goto (if you desire it) will cope with a restricted sky, so long as you can see two bright stars suitable as alignment objects.  If you accurately align the tripod you can manage with one alignment star (or planet) and once aligned you can try the 'precise goto' re-alignment with most systems.

You'll have your best chances for success in detecting galaxies with a 200mm Newtonian, the 200P, of course.  You will need to learn to collimate it, in general, and particularly for the higher powers associated with the Moon and planets; and in the splitting of double-stars, if such is of interest.  To be on the safe side, do look into pulling the kit with a cart or other rather, and instead of carrying it.  Lots of folks make use of that solution for their larger "Dobsonians".

On 29/07/2019 at 05:08, Alan64 said:

You'll have your best chances for success in detecting galaxies with a 200mm Newtonian, the 200P, of course.  You will need to learn to collimate it, in general, and particularly for the higher powers associated with the Moon and planets; and in the splitting of double-stars, if such is of interest.  To be on the safe side, do look into pulling the kit with a cart or other rather, and instead of carrying it.  Lots of folks make use of that solution for their larger "Dobsonians".

Thats likely to be my next step, at present I have help - as I'm at home with my parents atm my Dad has done the carrying (yes went ahead of this scope) it's not heavy - more awkward than anything. My issue isn't the weight - My issue is more I am a TPN Patient, namely I am attached to night feeds for nutrition. So I'm attached to a bag of fluid - ok I could put it on my back anmd that would make things easier - I usually weheel it around like  a suitcase but its pretty difficult to move both my feed and telescope - so transport is my next problem to sort. I can make things a little easier for myself atm putting my feed on my back though.

I have quite successful;ly viewed Jupiter and Saturn of which I am quite chiffed as a beginner to see - I always knew they were planets so found it easy to pick them out. It's just the fun of moving with the earth rotation,. Unfortunately my back garden really only has a good view in the southern sky, the north I don't get much at horizon level - Probably can't see much below 45degrees or more. So anything low on the horizon like Venus/Mercury even at Sunset can't be done. Mars isn't the best time. I think I had Pluto on the scope too - but its so small it's hard to know if it was the planet or a distant star. Uranus/Neptune  (I think Neptune was in the north sky) when I finally was able to view on a clear day was no longer in my field of vision.
As is Mars but I gather 2020 is a better time to see Mars anyway - I've seen it with the naked eye numerous times. Venus It would be nice to see phases where possible if it comes into my vision. In the short term its just back yard scoping. Longer term I'll try to go to other places. I am in an urban area but its not massively bright but I still don't feel I can see the milkway where I am. (The North West of Hartlepool).

If theres suggestions for transport - I''ll take a look I have a trailer I used for computer transport. It probably would do the job but I can't say for sure whether its suitable until I  have an idea what other options there maybe. I have looked at a link on this forum and also google came up with https://www.astroshop.eu/instruments/orion-dob-dolly-for-dobsonian-telescopes/p,46591#tab_bar_0_select

1 Question, is the scope easily able to be moved to an alternative mount? I mean by default it just rests on its current mount, I've seen simialr scopes with different stands - almost like a different stand was bought for it.

Incidentally is there recommendations for particular things to look for in the sky? West and East I'm surrounded by walls at home so it's mostly South and high angle to the North - I could see more of the North and East if I went to the front of the house though - possibly.

Edited by DarkNorth

5 minutes ago, DarkNorth said:

Thats likely to be my next step, at present I have help - as I'm at home with my parents atm my Dad has done the carrying (yes went ahead of this scope) it's not heavy - more awkward than anything. My issue isn't the weight - My issue is more I am a TPN Patient, namely I am attached to night feeds for nutrition. So I'm attached to a bag of fluid - ok I could put it on my back anmd that would make things easier - I usually weheel it around like  a suitcase but its pretty difficult to move both my feed and telescope - so transport is my next problem to sort. I can make things a little easier for myself atm putting my feed on my back though.

I have quite successful;ly viewed Jupiter and Saturn of which I am quite chiffed as a beginner to see - I always knew they were planets so found it easy to pick them out. It's just the fun of moving with the earth rotation,. Unfortunately my back garden really only has a good view in the southern sky, the north I don't get much at horizon level - Probably can't see much below 45degrees or more. So anything low on the horizon like Venus/Mercury even at Sunset can't be done. Mars isn't the best time. I think I had Pluto on the scope too - but its so small it's hard to know if it was the planet or a distant star. Uranus/Neptune  (I think Neptune was in the north sky) when I finally was able to view on a clear day was no longer in my field of vision.
As is Mars but I gather 2020 is a better time to see Mars anyway - I've seen it with the naked eye numerous times. Venus It would be nice to see phases where possible if it comes into my vision. In the short term its just back yard scoping. Longer term I'll try to go to other places. I am in an urban area but its not massively bright but I still don't feel I can see the milkway where I am. (The North West of Hartlepool).

If theres suggestions for transport - I''ll take a look I have a trailer I used for computer transport. It probably would do the job but I can't say for sure whether its suitable until I  have an idea what other options there maybe.

Incidentally is there recommendations for particular things to look for in the sky? West and East I'm surrounded by walls at home so it's mostly South and high angle to the North - I could see more of the North and East if I went to the front of the house though - possibly.

I, too, have a washed-out sky to the north...

north3.jpg.14a6bfcc061a8d98522f33138422f296.jpg

...and "courtesy" of a major crime-ridden city, but I am able to see Polaris, the North Star, and there above and askew of that distant back-lit tree at center.  Though land-locked as I am, aside from the major river snaking through nearby, I nonetheless feel like a sailor, a celestial stowaway, and upon the high seas approaching Shangri-La.  I have walls surrounding my digs, and in the form of trees planted in the mid-1990s.  But I am able to peek through them to the east and south, for this sprite and that.  The west is blocked by the house, and more trees, but that's where everything in the sky sets, including the Sun, and therefore of no real consequence.

I don't think any of the planets transit in the northern part of the sky.  I always see them in the south, transiting from east to west.  The planets are also quite low in the sky at this time, and for the next few years I've read.  Here, they're not quite as low as they are further northward, but the lowering has been noticeable.    

This is one method of hauling a kit round the lay...

post-245546-0-20923700-1535864570.jpg

If you haven't already, you may wish to download this program...

https://stellarium.org/

Once gotten the hang of, the program will show you when and where all the objects are in the sky, and it's free.  Simply choose your PC operating-system there at the top right of the page.

One object to shoot for is M13, the great globular-cluster in the constellation of Hercules.  It appears a bit high towards the west in the early evening.  Here, it is shown as it appears in your location at about midnight...

https://i.imgur.com/5Z5OPSj.png

2 hours ago, Alan64 said:

I, too, have a washed-out sky to the north...

north3.jpg.14a6bfcc061a8d98522f33138422f296.jpg

...and "courtesy" of a major crime-ridden city, but I am able to see Polaris, the North Star, and there above and askew of that distant back-lit tree at center.  Though land-locked as I am, aside from the major river snaking through nearby, I nonetheless feel like a sailor, a celestial stowaway, and upon the high seas approaching Shangri-La.  I have walls surrounding my digs, and in the form of trees planted in the mid-1990s.  But I am able to peek through them to the east and south, for this sprite and that.  The west is blocked by the house, and more trees, but that's where everything in the sky sets, including the Sun, and therefore of no real consequence.

I don't think any of the planets transit in the northern part of the sky.  I always see them in the south, transiting from east to west.  The planets are also quite low in the sky at this time, and for the next few years I've read.  Here, they're not quite as low as they are further northward, but the lowering has been noticeable.    

This is one method of hauling a kit round the lay...

post-245546-0-20923700-1535864570.jpg

If you haven't already, you may wish to download this program...

https://stellarium.org/

Once gotten the hang of, the program will show you when and where all the objects are in the sky, and it's free.  Simply choose your PC operating-system there at the top right of the page.

One object to shoot for is M13, the great globular-cluster in the constellation of Hercules.  It appears a bit high towards the west in the early evening.  Here, it is shown as it appears in your location at about midnight...

https://i.imgur.com/5Z5OPSj.png

I have skymap on my phone which is fairly accurate. certyainly to the right area of sky. accuracy depends on the phones internal gyro's.

I have a trolley just like that I use for my computer - if thats all others use, I guess I just need to get it out of the loft.

Thankyou for the app link - no I'd not seen that one. Though I found something I found interestinmg earlier. I was looking for a 'real loo' of the solar system with real orbits as I didn't believe every planetary body was on the same orbit - it came close to what I wanted showing bodies that go above and below what might be deeemed the earth orbit horizon.

https://www.solarsystemscope.com/

I thought there was some planets not quite on perfect orbits- I know Pluto comes inside of Neptune at some points but I can't find a good 'true' solar system atm.

11 minutes ago, DarkNorth said:

I have skymap on my phone which is fairly accurate. certyainly to the right area of sky. accuracy depends on the phones internal gyro's.

I have a trolley just like that I use for my computer - if thats all others use, I guess I just need to get it out of the loft.

Thankyou for the app link - no I'd not seen that one. Though I found something I found interestinmg earlier. I was looking for a 'real loo' of the solar system with real orbits as I didn't believe every planetary body was on the same orbit - it came close to what I wanted showing bodies that go above and below what might be deeemed the earth orbit horizon.

https://www.solarsystemscope.com/

I thought there was some planets not quite on perfect orbits- I know Pluto comes inside of Neptune at some points but I can't find a good 'true' solar system atm.

Stellarium is a very popular program.  Just ask round.  Check it out; you've nothing to lose.  I found M13 with it, and was observing the object within 30 minutes or less as a result.  Stellarium is also available as an app for a phone.

It takes a 16"/400mm "Dobsonian" to see Pluto, however, but still as a tiny dot.  Uranus is easy enough, but Neptune a bit more difficult, but doable I think with a 200mm aperture.

I assume you bought an 8" Dob - you don't exactly say.

The only view you really need is to the South.  Objects low in the North will come to a more observable position if you wait long enough.

Neptune is easy to see and resolve with an 8" scope. The hard part is finding it without a GoTo mount as it will look stellar at low magnifications.

You won't see Pluto - it's too faint and the only way you will detect it is to take some photographs at intervals and see which of the numerous star-like objects in the image has moved. Not easy.

What to view? There are various online guides of what to see in August. Or buy the August issue of a popular astronomy magazine.

5 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I assume you bought an 8" Dob - you don't exactly say.

The only view you really need is to the South.  Objects low in the North will come to a more observable position if you wait long enough.

Neptune is easy to see and resolve with an 8" scope. The hard part is finding it without a GoTo mount as it will look stellar at low magnifications.

You won't see Pluto - it's too faint and the only way you will detect it is to take some photographs at intervals and see which of the numerous star-like objects in the image has moved. Not easy.

What to view? There are various online guides of what to see in August. Or buy the August issue of a popular astronomy magazine.

It was more stuff you see are sunrise /sunset which tends to be Venus and occasionally Mars, I don't expect to see Mercury- but i did already read Mars is best viewed next in 2020 anyway.  Neptune and Uranus were in the sky on one night but it was too cloudy - the night I did look out they were too far to the east to view at 10pm.  And one seemed more in the North. I did notice around midnight last night they were in the right place in the sky. But really my viewable time is going to mostly be around 10pm or later as it gets dark quite late in the North of England, so short of viewing things bright enough to see in twilight theres not too much point going out sooner.

I got the 200p in answer to the question someone put - I thought I said that when I mentioned my ability to move it - namely I can - but I am attached to TPN which makes it awkward rather than heavy.

Does anyone know the aFoV for the default 10mm / 25mm eye pieces or at least the TFoV so I can work it out? It may not matter much - it's more for accuracy on stellarium. I'm going to buy a couple smaller eye pieces for now going by whats been recommended in other forum posts - to give me an idea and go from there.

7 hours ago, DarkNorth said:

Does anyone know the aFoV for the default 10mm / 25mm eye pieces or at least the TFoV so I can work it out? It may not matter much - it's more for accuracy on stellarium. I'm going to buy a couple smaller eye pieces for now going by whats been recommended in other forum posts - to give me an idea and go from there

Assume 50 degrees FOV for those eyepieces - that will be close enough for the purpose.

On 05/08/2019 at 16:10, DarkNorth said:

1 Question, is the scope easily able to be moved to an alternative mount? I mean by default it just rests on its current mount, I've seen simialr scopes with different stands - almost like a different stand was bought for it.

My apologies, as I didn't see that question initially.  Ordinarily no, as it would require something of a Herculean feat to accomplish.  I assume you mean mounting the OTA onto a tripod-type mount.  If so, you'd have to remove the trunnions from the OTA, get tube-rings and a dovetail-bar, and mount it onto an EQ-6.  This is an EQ-6...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq6-r-pro-synscan-go-to-equatorial-mount.html

Otherwise, it is destined to remain as is.  Now, a 200mm f/5 is a different story.  The tube is 200mm shorter, and is actually sold together with a smaller EQ-5 in kit-form...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html