Filter wheel stuck?

rubecula

How can you tell if the filter wheel is turning?  I tried to run the SGP Filter Calibration Wizard today. Having set up for all 7 filters at 1x1 and 2x2 with an ADU of 25,000 and min exposure of 10s I hit Start. Nothin happened, it just said "setting filter Lum" and got no further, I waited several minutes.  Could it be that the FW is stuck somehow?

Thanks

Which filterwheel do you have.  I have an Atik and you can hear it turning.  Also if you put you hand on the wheel you should feel some sort of vibration when it is turning.

The other way of telling is in looping, as Luminance will show a much clearer image than say Ha Oiii and Sii.  You can't tell if you are on the correct filter with this method but you can certainly tell if the filterhweel has changed from broadband to narrowband at least.

Carole 

PS: Just read your kit in the signature and see you have the same FW as me, so you should be able to hear it turn.

Yes had this stuck wheel with SX types and it was the centre nylon bush sticking (yes this post is for atik) clean up and light lube with silicone spray or dry lube did the trick, as carole says about noise of wheel or motor noise and slight vibration thru the wheel or take off and test? Ton

Suggest you run it in its native software, Artemis. The EF2 makes a quiet whirring noise when it runs. If you can look down the business end of the scope and work your keyboard/mouse at the same time you should see the carousel move in front of the camera chip.

Archived