NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M2 EOS/C11

darditti

I'm not particularly pleased with this image. The object was in the mirk of the light pollution from central London that I have to the south particularly in the early evening, and there were bad LP effects in this image, of which I have removed the worst by cropping the corners. In addition all the stars look a bit comatic, which suggests a collimation error, but actually I think it is more atmospheric effects from the low altitude. They were also chromatically dispersed, which I have corrected by nudging the channels in Photoshop.

Anyway, I had not imaged this object before, so now I have.

David

M2-08-10-27CLPC11EOS.jpg

I have had another go at this, and, using a different selection of flats, I have been able to get a flatter background and include the whole frame. I have also been able to bring out the outer regions of the cluster more. The stars are still comets though.

Not taken last night, but more than a weeks ago, BTW Mark, so the Moon is no excuse, as there was none.

David

M2-08-10-27CLPC11EOS2.jpg

That's getting to look really nice now David, well 'rounded' and good colours. Shows what the old 350D can bring out! Pity about the 'coma' effect, perhaps you could find a way of losing it? Tried any sort of deconvolution tool?

As it happens, M2 was one of the first things I tried imaging with my kit (also 350D) when I still had it in sussex, I just dug it out. It also shows 'coma' but I don't think mine's down to the atmosphere, my 'coma' goes the other way than yours, so it probably really is coma - or trailing!

Looking forward to your DSo work in progress - inspiration to all those of us who live under far far better skies!

Archived