Thor's Helmet again - now with boosted Ha

gorann

After having seen Rodd's wide field image of Thor's Helmet here:

I went back to this image that I posted on SGL:

to see if I could bring out more of the red Ha signal, primarily by stretching the Ha data, and yes there were plenty. So much that it became a completely different image (maybe I have gone a bit far?).

So, this is 6 hours of Ha and Oiii data that I processed from Astrobin public data pool posted by Robert Huerbsch. Scope: AT130EDT. Camera: QHY163m with Astronomik Deepsky 6nm Ha, O3 filters
Frames: 70 x 150s each Ha, O3 at gain 139 and 200.

QUESTION: Why have almost everyone except @Rodd missed the rather strong Ha nebulosity that exist around Thor's Helmet? Googling this object rarely, if ever, show images with much red nebulosity.

Huerbsch ThorsH LHaO PS20smallSign.jpg

29 minutes ago, gorann said:

Why have almost everyone except @Rodd missed the rather strong Ha nebulosity that exist around Thor's Helmet? Googling this object rarely, if ever, show images with much red nebulosity.

maybe because they know what they are doing and I don't??.  Seriously though, you could have at least posted my final version!.  

Nice detail, by the way!

Rodd

35 minutes ago, Rodd said:

maybe because they know what they are doing and I don't??.  Seriously though, you could have at least posted my final version!.  

Nice detail, by the way!

Rodd

Thanks Rodd! I changed the link to page 2 of your thread with the latest version of your evolving masterpiece ?

Archived