Baader neodymium filter instead of Baader L filter

Hi guys. Do you guys know if the baader neodymium filter can be used for ccd imaging instead of the luminance filter to cut some of the light pollution?

This is the filter that I have and because it says ccd imaging on it I was thinking if it would be good to cut down a bit of the light pollutionwhen taking the luminance subs.41-2458305-Baader-neodymium-ir-cut-moon-skyglow-Filter.jpg.bbb47907457f10be091a7f84fb31fa82.jpg

Emil

You can certainly try to do it, it will not impact Lum much and there is a good chance it will cut some of LP a bit.

Baader neodymium m&s cuts out part of spectrum between 560 and 600nm and affects other parts of spectrum slightly (no other part of spectrum is fully blocked). Here is graph:

image.png.29eb788b2a1bf962b1be5e7ce90d2fa8.png

If you are using refractor and your camera does not have built in IR/UV cut filter, than it would be best to try it out, since some sources on internet suggest that it will not block light beyond 700nm like in image above, for example:

image.png.2c3c54621f55e3894ec9bb7311dfa7c8.png

Maybe there are multiple revisions of it?

Anyway, compare that to curve of IDAS-LPS-P2 and some prominent LP lines:

image.png.f687d8bea0a570b712676d3387a96c68.png

So, Baader will block Na/Hg lines between 580 and 600nm, and somewhat Hg at 546, 436 and Neon at 667/671, but not as much as dedicated LP suppression filter

I have used it with a modded DSLR and found it quite good for low to moderate LP. As far as I know there is only one version from baader and that one cuts uv/ir. I have it on the list for future purchase as a 1.25" for exactly the purpose you describe. ?

Archived