Starlight express first outing.

DougM43

Hi all, I managed to get out with my Starlight express SXVR-M25c and could just do with a little help to ensure i'm on the right track, this is an image of around 2 hrs 15 mins of M31

to my eye it looks like i have got the spacing right, and the focus which seems to be ok also the noise is considerably less than my dslr,  so i am quite encouraged by that, but i must admit i expected to see more of the galaxy, particularly as I've read how sensitive the camera is, or am i just expecting too much for such a short time ? 

There's also a serious amount of filth on one of the optical surfaces, looking at the size of the bunnys i'm guessing they could be on the focal reducer so i need to deal with them before its next outing.  

The attached picture was the best 95% of 2.5 hrs worth of 100s unguided subs with 40 flat frames taken with an ED80 pro, the image is as it was straight out of DSS but stretching didn't bring out any more.

As was suggested by some very helpful folk here i left the gain setting blank in APT. 

What do you think, is my assessment about right?

Many thanks, Doug 

M31 2 hrs 30 40 light 40 flat stacked.TIF

Ah,, i expected a picture hang on whilst i convert it to something else.

Hi Doug,

I have the QHY8 Pro which is QHY's comparison to the SX M25c. To use this camera to it's potential you need to up the exposure time, this will require mount guiding and exposure times around 300 - 600s. You could use your shorter subs to replace the blown out core on your longer subs. I'd also invest in a good LP filter.

Steve

Archived