Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star parties?

Milliways

Hi i was wandering if anyone near wiltshire or close proximities wanted to set up a star party with me? i have never been to one and thourght it would be a great idea, (A) It would be a great learning curve for me and others and (:D I think it would get all the people around this area together to discuss this, that and the other plus will make some friends too. Could set up a bbq and BYOB!

Any takers?

Dave.

hello milliways

I'm Pete and i live in swindon you recently missed a great star party organised by Daren and astronut it was held on a camp site just outside of Salisbury. another one is already well in the planning for next year but if you want to set one up before that then I might be interested depends on when and where I am in the processes of setting up an astronomy club here in swindon as our main wiltshire one is just a little too far away to get to for me already have quite a few interested bodies already have over 12 names on the list and its not even been advertised yet . any ways message me and we will see what we can do I can certainly give you some good pointers to get started on if nothing else

Ahh hell :'(

I didnt know about that one.. How far away are you from warminster? and where would your astonomy club be held? i would definately be interested in that!!

Well if we where gonna have a star party sooner rather than later we would have to see where "most of the people willing to go" live and see if we could find somewhere easy and fair for them to get to.

Oh and would you have any advice on how i can view nebulae better with my ETX? (filters and such?)

Thanks.

good morning Milliways and good morning Owen

milliways if your in warminster it might be easier and closer for you to go to Wiltshire Astronomical society rather than here in swindon although having said that you would be more than welcome to come to the one I'm starting here in swindon

I believe they hold their meetings in Laycock you can find their posts here on the lounge in the club news section I don't go as its just that bit too far out for my own personal circumstances but im sure they are very very good . And Yes Owen I must admit

I too am really supprised that we don't have one here in swindon given both its size and the number of Amateur Astronomers who live around here including you that now makes 11 i think that are based just on Stargazers lounge and I know there are others who currently don't use this forum at all

anyways this is Milliways post and I don't want to hijack it but just to let you both know that I intend to make the club in swindon open to absolutely anyone both beginner and seasoned observer alike want to try and keep it fairly easy going and relaxed with the main focus on observing and open chat sessions with the odd sprinkling of lectures for good measure don't really want it too heavily based on chalk and talk type format our hobby although quite serious at times is really fun and I would like to keep it that way if at all possible will definitely keep everybody posted as i progress but if anybody fancies giving me a hand in getting it going would be more than greatfull for the help

anyways back to milliways questions as its his post .

did you put your name down for the one for next year yet.? The list is growing like Pinocchio's nose was up to almost thirty when i last looked last year was great there were around 20 of us over the three or four days that we spent on the camp site with daily visitors popping in, if you do want to go I wouldn't leave it too late although having said that Daren and Bernie have found a new location for it this time so should be a lot more room I will definitely be going health permitting.

If we are going to hold a get together before the main star party it might be better to organise a weekend do or even a single night rather than a full blown bash they tend to take a huge amount of time and effort to get organised we would need to find a regular camp site open during the winter with all the required facilities Electric heated washing up room showers all that sort of thing and of course a dark skies sight and that is going to be a big ask as i think you will find most camp sites close down at this time of year

I know the one we used for the Salisbury do is closed till march of next year bearing in mind also that a lot of the people who come to these events including me sleep in tented accommodation for the duration and yes your right location for the people who intend to come will be all important I think probably the best thing we can do is put out feelers about it and see what response you get anyways i had better close here or this thread is going to reassemble an encyclopedia

regards Pete

Yeah i would love to get my name down on the list for the next starparty.. I presume u can sign up this site? failing that i will email bernie :mrgreen:

I was ony thinking of a small get together at a Inn somewhere near us, has all the facilities that we need and some beer too is always nice hehe, plus we get a warm bed too and full english breaky in the morn :D

Anyways i'll have a hunt and see what i come up with.

Thanks for the advice mate.

Dave.

Archived