Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Central TX

TICKr

1 hour ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Try rubbing the bearing surfaces with the abrasive side of a kitchen sponge, but do it very lightly because that abrasive is coarse and hard, rubbing harshly or for too long could actually induce play. Bearing surfaces must not be smooth as a mirror because that would maximize the contact area, and thus, friction. They have to be evenly micro-scratched to avoid sticking to each other like suction cups.

Also, brush the gear's teeth and the worm with a brass or stainless brush (they cost pennies), that should remove the mini-burrs left by machining. Do it while the grease is still on, the result will be smoother, and there will be less risk of overdoing it.

Ben, thanks for the tips. Both .Akers perfect sense. I did notice small burrs/shavings falling from the worm gear while operating the RA and have been trying to think of a way to clean it up a bit. 

That being said, I was at least able to use the scope/mount last night, including the RA, with much better action the night before. On a side note, I was able to log my second observation last night before the clouds moved in. M36 or M37, not exactly sure which one it was, I'll have another go next ti.e I go out.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight's treat, a clear sky for a great look at the waxing crescent moon. Below is a shot at 60x.

Also got my second good observation of the Orion Nebula and even gave sketching a try for the first time (believe me I'm no artist)! So far quite pleased with the 114mm long tube. 

20190112_231702.jpg

20190112_232524.jpg

Archived