SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZ-GTi in EQ... Is there a polar scope for this?

mikeysweet

I have the Skytracker AZ GTI that I want to set up in EQ mode. In order to do that I need to have it polar aligned. Do they sell a polar scope for this motor mount to help me polar align it? If not, how would I go about aligning it for EQ setup? 

Thx! 

As I understand it, if you connect the mount to a PC you can use one of the alignment tools provided in the various Astro software apps (such as SharpCap), or without a PC you could do manual drift alignment (I found one such guide on astropixels here) which will take a bit longer...

I'm no expert, though - and I haven't polar aligned my AZGTi yet - so I'm eager to find out if there are other options, and what other members recommend...

i originally thought that the tracker would spin around the top motor - the one that you attach your lens to. If that were true, then you would be able to pop the white cap off, use the hole there (used to connect a counter weight) and align it that way. What actually happens is the base motor is what spins and there's no hole there to peek through. 

Archived