NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Levenhuk 15 X 70's ?

Hi folks

Anyone out there have any experience with the Levenhuk 15 x 70's as sold here: https://uk.levenhuk.com/catalogue/binoculars/levenhuk-bruno-plus-15x70-binoculars/

They look good on paper,  with free delivery and a Lifetime Warranty.

I currently observe from Belfast with the associated light pollution so I'm planning to bump up to 15x70 from my current 10x50's.  I use the binos primarly to locate targets then follow up on the scope.  I've more or less exausted the list of targets within range of 10x50 and need something with a longer reach.

My other choice would be the Helios Stellar II 15x70's.  I've noted a few comments on their loose focus adjustment, how bad is it?

Any advice much appreciated.

Can't comment on the Levenhuk, but can certainly recommend the Stellar II (my review of it is at http://binocularsky.com/binoc_reviews.php). Some of the comments you've seen on the loose focus may well have been mine; that was 5 years ago. A few months ago I had the 10x50 version (which, 5 yrs ago, also had that loose focus) for a review for Sky at Night mag - the focus was somewhat stiffer, so they may have changed it (same eyepiece assemblies, etc. as the 15x70). I should also add that, even in its earlier, looser, state, it would not defocus spontaneously, but it was not as satisfyingly "stay put, even when you muck about with the eye-cups" as the focus on the Helios Apollo.

HTH

Thanks Binocularsky

Good to hear regarding the focus slack on the Stellar II,  apart from that one issue I have read great reviews on them.

Levenhuk do seem to be an unknown entity,  there's an earlier post "show me your bino's" and they receive no mention. 

Many Thanks

Ciaran. 

On 31/12/2018 at 17:58, AstroCiaran123 said:

Levenhuk do seem to be an unknown entity,  there's an earlier post "show me your bino's" and they receive no mention.

They sent me one (10x50 Sherman PRO) to review a few years back - mixed bag, but well designed and significantly better than a lot of stuff out there.

On 31/12/2018 at 13:30, AstroCiaran123 said:

Hi folks

Anyone out there have any experience with the Levenhuk 15 x 70's as sold here: https://uk.levenhuk.com/catalogue/binoculars/levenhuk-bruno-plus-15x70-binoculars/

They look good on paper,  with free delivery and a Lifetime Warranty.

I currently observe from Belfast with the associated light pollution so I'm planning to bump up to 15x70 from my current 10x50's.  I use the binos primarly to locate targets then follow up on the scope.  I've more or less exausted the list of targets within range of 10x50 and need something with a longer reach.

My other choice would be the Helios Stellar II 15x70's.  I've noted a few comments on their loose focus adjustment, how bad is it?

Any advice much appreciated.

I'm interested in how this practice works. For me, if I locate something in a binocular and then put it down to refind it in the lelescope, I've already lost it!. Doesn't a decent aperture finder perform a better task?   ?

32 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I'm interested in how this practice works. For me, if I locate something in a binocular and then put it down to refind it in the lelescope, I've already lost it!. Doesn't a decent aperture finder perform a better task?   ?

Yes, but it's easier to scan around in binos first, I find. Last night, for example, 46P was easy to locate in binos, but (because of its altitude) a pain in the neck with a straight through finder. I also sometimes use binos with my Rigel QuikFinder - combine the advantages of a unit power reflex finder with a "proper" finder.

2 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Hi Peter

Locating objects with the bino's works well for me in the light polluted sky of Belfast.  Locate the object in bino and memorize the pattern of the brighter stars visible in field of view,  then onto finderscope.   Mine is a 9x50 with the approximate FOV as the bino's.  Guide the scope onto the memorised star pattern (target object may not be visible in finderscope)  Use lowest power eyepiece to slowly scan the area under search.  With a bit of practice it's usually successful.   A good star atlas is also essential. 

I've also had a go at using the setting circles on the mount,  it does work but very fiddly. 

All the Best

Ciaran. 

• 1 month later...

Ok,  been out for a while. (Had scope out earlier). The Helios are incredible.  Beautiful colours coming through and really able to reach through the city sky glow.  The Augria clusters showed some development into individual stars. The Pleiades were just stunning.  General scanning was a real treat, seems to be a lot more contrast with these compared to my 10x50's.  Some absolutely gorgeous views around Perseus, vivid reds and blues.  Tried for the Leo Triplet but no luck,  high cloud interfering anyway.  The Helios are not to bad to handle and I quickly adjusted to the heavier setup.   Well balanced and the long 'nose" actually makes them easier to aim.  I'm a happy chappy :)

Archived