NGC 1907 Splendours in Auriga

scarp15

Cygnus in the west immediately grasped my attention as I arrived in the Northumberland valley. The forecast had determined that this would almost certainly become a short session, clouds were due to roll across from the west. My plan more in hope than realism, would have been to pursue various Dark Nebulae, such as B34 in Auriga and B37 in in Monoceros. None the less I would settle for anything. The milky way was quite apparent as I swung the 200mm dob between Mars, Andromeda and the Pleiades, conveying subtle reflection nebula around the cluster and of the Merope. The Veil was still determined with an OIII filter. Auriga in the south east was gaining in prominence, skipping between open clusters M37, M36 and M38. Couldn't be sure about B34, so I settled back onto M38 which is coupled close to NGC 1907, providing a very pleasing composition.  

Alongside renowned M38, the compact open cluster, NGC 1907 is the older of the two considered to be 500 millions years old and 4,500 light years from earth. I continued in vain hope, pursuing more Dark Nebula this time B29 also in Auriga, before turning towards NGC 1514, Crystal Ball, planetary nebula between Taurus and Perseus. This was snatched away when a gusty wind swept cloud across and that was that, a lot of effort goes into packing the car and driving to some place for a short session and an early finish, yet the dark sky period I encountered, gave some good impressions and much needed scope time.

P1080863.JPG

Excellent report, Iain. I’m glad you managed to get a session in. Dark Nebula can be tricky even when the skies are good. I was lucky enough to get E.E. Barnard’s photographic atlas for Christmas. Below is the plate for B34. Sitting in between M37 and M36. I’m hoping the atlas will me hunt down some dark nebula. 

0E14A259-DD4F-46FF-B61E-33882D2B9E33.thumb.jpeg.2c32d73de7f9ea645e79b59d3ac05130.jpeg

That is a very nice catalogue Neil, I shall look out for a copy. I feel that I probably drifted into it, I had my 85mm refractor ready as well, which would have become my primary hunting tool for these. I do need to research these dark nebulae a little more to.

Thanks, very much the same here in as far as opportunities to commit to a dark sky trip. 

Looking a little more into B34 and I feel that I quite likely had encountered it, drifting outwards west from M37. Within the starfield, I was gaining perhaps with slightly averted vision dark 'blackouts'. I have found that pursing Barnard's Dark Nebulae a little easier with the wider field of the refactor so far, but that is not to say that the dobsonian is not registering it, just need to gain more comprehension, familiarity.  This one, Barnard 34, as I understand does quite blend into the background starfield.

6 hours ago, scarp15 said:

That is a very nice catalogue Neil, I shall look out for a copy. I feel that I probably drifted into it, I had my 85mm refractor ready as well, which would have become my primary hunting tool for these. I do need to research these dark nebulae a little more to.

E.E. Barnard’s images are all available on this site. A good reference until you find a physical copy of the atlas.

http://www.library.gatech.edu/search/digital_collections/barnard/index.html

Just to return attention back briefly to NGC 1907, companion cluster to M38. It is interesting that this is not in fact a Messier object, one of perhaps many that were over looked for inclusion in the catalogue.

11 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Just to return attention back briefly to NGC 1907, companion cluster to M38. It is interesting that this is not in fact a Messier object, one of perhaps many that were over looked for inclusion in the catalogue.

Agreed. I’m trying to recall when I last observed it. From memory though, it’s quite eye catching when observing M38 so it seems unlikely that Messier didn’t notice it when cataloging M38. 

NGC 1857 in Auriga is also noted for some attention, compressed fairly faint cluster among looser more scattered brighter stars. I think next time I will have a more determined go for Barnard 29, as I understand is best requiring larger aperture and described as a grey mottled region, nearly devoid a of stars.

Archived