SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A night at Fewston Reservoir

I spent yesterday afternoon and all night at Fewston Reservoir in North Yorkshire shooting a Holy Grail time lapse, some star time lapse and star trail images. I used my Sony A7Sii and Samyang 24mm f1.4 lens and Dynamic Perception slider gear with my Timelapse+ view intervalometer for the Holy Grail time lapse and my Sony A7iii and Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye lens for the other work. The drone footage was shot with my Mavic Air.
It was quite cold and within a few hours there was a thick layer of frost on my bags and the slider rails had ice on them by the morning but it carried on working ok.
Altogether I took over 3,500 images with exposures ranging from 1/8000 second at f1.4 and ISO 100 to 30 seconds at f2.8 at ISO 6400. A friend of mine Simon Bennett mentioned about Comet 46P being in the sky and I didn't think I would catch it with a fisheye lens, but if you check very carefully in the third clip where Orion is already in the sky there is a very faint smudge in exactly the spot where Simon showed me so it looks like I managed to catch it, it is very faint though so it is difficult to see. I carried all my gear in my Benpacker hiking trailer. I processed all the data using a combination of Lightroom, Premier Pro, Photoshop and Starstax.
The video can be seen at the link below in HD and 4K, as I've only just uploaded it the 4K version may not be available yet but it will later on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDBAb5-dTD4&feature=youtu.be

1 hour ago, clarkpm4242 said:

You've put in a lot of work!!!  Hope you are happy with the outcome.

What approach do you take to manage dew?

Thank you

Paul

Hi Paul

I use a dew heater strap and 26,000maH battery that I got off Amazon, one battery is enough to keep the strap going all night. I have one strap for each lens and four of the batteries as I use two of the batteries to help keep the cameras going as well

Best wishes

Gordon

18 minutes ago, GordonH said:

I use a dew heater strap

Thanks Gordon.

My problem is probably down to trying to make do with a cheap Pan/Slide/Tilt solution.  Cable management issues have caused some jerky motion on the vids.

Am looking to get an 'on board' solution...

...maybe.

Cheers Paul

2 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Thanks Gordon.

My problem is probably down to trying to make do with a cheap Pan/Slide/Tilt solution.  Cable management issues have caused some jerky motion on the vids.

Am looking to get an 'on board' solution...

...maybe.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul

I'm using gear from Dynamic Perception which can be used altogether as a slider with pan/tilt head or you can use just the slider or just the pan/tilt head. Cable management is always a potential problem, luckily Dynamic Perception provide velcro fastening straps which can be used to keep all the cables out of the way. My slider can also be used on a slant or even vertically if needed. It isn't cheap but it is a quality product and works seamlessly with the intervalometer for Holy Grail time lapses

Best wishes

Gordon

3 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

That's one mighty fine video and well worth the time and effort you have put into it. I hope you did a spot of fishing whilst you were there :)

Steve

Definitely not! I had one go at fishing many years ago and was bored to tears, I would much rather watch paint dry...…….or sit about all night waiting for a time lapse to finish?

Archived