SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Where can I get a tension bolt for Meade LX90 Tripod?

emadmoussa

32 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

I've got an LX90/LX200 tripod, but it's missing the tension bolt and, unfortunately, I'm struggling to find a replacement. Otherwise, I'll be forced to find a whole tripod just for the bolt. 

Untitled-1.jpg

You'll get one from any country still so primitive and misguided as to be using imperial threads. No further comment, but don't mention Mars landers...

Olly

Easy enough to make one although the original has a spring and a couple of knurled round nuts which can be dispensed with if you haven't got one.

Imperial threaded rod is available on E'Bay, I've got an original one that I've mounted binoculars on so could copy it to make you one.

Dave

23 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Easy enough to make one although the original has a spring and a couple of knurled round nuts which can be dispensed with if you haven't got one.

Imperial threaded rod is available on E'Bay, I've got an original one that I've mounted binoculars on so could copy it to make you one.

Dave

Really? Can you do that? That will be fantastic! 

11 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

Much appreciated, Dave! Thank you!! 

While on the topic, have you tried cleaning the inside of the corrector plate on the Meade? I've got fungus...

Yes, easy enough to do on my 10", just remove the circle of screws and stick your finger on the secondary to stop it moving when taking off the retaining ring, the corrector plate may already be marked for replacing in the same position if not have a pot of Tipex handy and mark the edge somewhere, there is some discussion as to this being necessary but best not to tempt fate.

There are probably some cork or cardboard spacers around the outside to hold it central so try not to loose them.

Dave

• Like 1

I'll probably test the scope under the stars first and see if it needs cleaning at all. Standing in front of it, the corrector looks fine, shining light on it, it looks horrifying -ish. 

I'll be bugging you once I've received all the kit and cleaning products. I should be collecting the scope on Friday. 

7 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

I'll probably test the scope under the stars first and see if it needs cleaning at all. Standing in front of it, the corrector looks fine, shining light on it, it looks horrifying -ish. 

I'll be bugging you once I've received all the kit and cleaning products. I should be collecting the scope on Friday. 

The 'flashlight test' makes anything look horrible. Ignore it.

Nice one from Dave here!

Olly

12 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

The 'flashlight test' makes anything look horrible. Ignore it.

Nice one from Dave here!

Olly

Yep, I think Dave is about to save me a fortune. Couldn't thank him enough. 

The question remains, I'm not 100% it's all mould. If so, should I expect it to increase over time? The scope is being sold to me after it had been stored for about 3 years. I looked at a somewhat close object (no room) and I could focus and get things fairly clear, if not sharp. Slight collimation might be required, but I don't care at this point. 

I've used mine with a pretty filthy outside of corrector plat without any obvious deterioration in the view but then my skies are pretty rubbish not sure if it would have more effect in pristine skies.

Mould is not good as it can grow so best removed if your sure that's what it is.

Dave

12 hours ago, Davey-T said:

What size is the scope BTW I thought you were talking about getting a 12 " ?

Dave

No, I settled down for an 8" for the time being.  It's a whole lot of kit and other small scopes included in the price. I'll post photos tomorrow, hopefully. 

Oh, by the way, the seller contacted me this morning saying that he found the tension bolt. Thanks for the offer to machine me one, but it's not needed now. Thank you! 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi, I have a similar issue. I recently acquired a Meade LX 200 GPS ACF 10", and it came with a Giant Field Tripod, but it is missing the plate that holds eyepieces but spaces out the legs. The plate is not the issue; I'm also missing the rod. I can easily buy a plate online, but the rod I have not found anything. @Davey looks like you made one before I don't want to presume you would make another; I would pay, but maybe also have some ideas on making my own. I'm happy to have this telescope but also have plenty of issues already... Missing pieces, bad service board, or the cables are bad.