Asi224mc moon question

Ozone

Hi guys. Another question for you.

Had the scope out last night and was shooting video. Tried out these settings posted here: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/619871-using-the-asi224mc-for-the-moon/

I am using an f9 ritchey chretien. Are these a good place to start? Which settings should I play with for adjustments? He didnt mention any processing after shooting. I use registax and then photoshop. Will post some pics after I am done. I always seeem to over do the sharpening!

I have used my ASI224MC on the moon with my Celestron C8 frequently. The latest FireCapture gives the "unit gain" setting which should mean that the grey values output are photon counts. I think it is somewhere around 150 for the ASI224MC. I use linear gamma (default), and then the exposure time depends on the filter used (IR pass or Luminance (UV/IR block)). I set the exposure time to  get a reasonably well occupied histogram without any clipping. If I am doing just one area of the moon, I want the maximum occupied value to be around 90%. When I do a mosaic, I will either set the exposure time on the brightest area, and use that throughout, or I vary the exposure time as needed. Around the terminator I often end up with just a half occupied histogram, to keep the frame rate up and freeze seeing a bit better.

I always stack in AS!3, and sharpen in ImPPG with deconvolution and unsharp masking (per colour band), rather than using Registax wavelets (I do use that on planets). I rather like doing weird things to the colour palette on the moon, by increasing saturation wildly in Gimp

Moon_222953_pipp_lapl4_ap540LR_4.thumb.jpg.393b54b45c283547c7c08275cce9cc56.jpg

Michael, I see you took a picture of aristarchus "power plant"? anyway, thanks all for the advice. I will definitely have to try it out. Like was said before, if any turn out good I will have to look at the log file (great tool for info) to see what worked better. I took the same shots 2-3 times with different e,posure times, but didnt change much else.

Archived