NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Keeping observatory cable connection connected

Hi Guys,

I have, probably, about 40 cable connections in my observatory, excluding the 240v ones.  These are:

USB and other 5v data cables ~14 plugs

Motor and handset cables ~8 plugs

Heaters and fans: ~10 connections

DSLR and other automation: ~6

Nearly every day, and certainly every week, one of the connections works loose or becomes a little corroded and I spend maybe 30 mins checking.  If I can't find it, it waits till daylight and a night is lost.

Do you guys have the same problems and how do you deal with it?

Thanks

Steve.

3 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

I run a desiccant de-humidifier in my observatory and no heater - this stops this sort of problem in its tracks so I never have this type of issue!

I have one in the attic.

Do you have it on all the time, or just when operational?

Steve.

Just now, SteveBz said:

Do you have it on all the time, or just when operational?

I have mine running all the time EXCEPT when I am imaging as I don't want to generate any thermal turbulence - I have a software controlled two-way relay: Dome ON, De-humidifier OFF and vice-versa.

1 minute ago, steppenwolf said:

I have mine running all the time EXCEPT when I am imaging as I don't want to generate any thermal turbulence - I have a software controlled two-way relay: Dome ON, De-humidifier OFF and vice-versa.

Hi Steppenwolf,

Oh, I see you're near me.  I'm outside Crawley.  I have a few more questions.

1) Do you have the waste water piped or drained out? If so how?

2) Does it not use up a huge amount of electricity?

3) My shed is not very air-tight, so in reality I'd be dehumidifying the whole of Crawley.  I guess I'd have to make it all much more airtight.  Is this not also a problem for you?

Tx

Steve.

1 minute ago, RayD said:

Yep, like Steve I run mine all the time the roof is closed.  I set the humidistat to 60% and it has a permanent drain to the outside.  Never have any issues with cable disconnects.

Ok, thanks,

Same questions. As SW.

1 minute ago, SteveBz said:

Oh, I see you're near me.  I'm outside Crawley.  I have a few more questions.

I'm near Wiston about 10 miles north of Worthing

1. Yes, I have mine on continuous drain via a plastic waste pipe running through the concrete floor

2. I haven't checked to be honest but I put my gear above all other considerations and take it as part of the cost of astronomy!

3. My dome is far from airtight so Wiston is a lovely dry place to visit in the summer ? Again, I accept this as my gear remains lovely and dry but I accept that it is not very efficient.

1 minute ago, SteveBz said:

Ok, thanks,

Same questions. As SW.

For me personally see below:

1) Do you have the waste water piped or drained out? If so how?

Mine is drained permanently via a hose fitted to the drain plug on the dehumidifier.  Not all are capable of permanent drainage so you need to check this with the type you use.  Dessicant type ones work best in cold environments rather than compressor.  This is the one I use, although I paid £135 so worth looking about.

2) Does it not use up a huge amount of electricity?

Not especially when you consider the cost of the equipment it is protecting.  Provided you don't have it set to desert dry settings, then it switches off and on as necessary.

3) My shed is not very air-tight, so in reality I'd be dehumidifying the whole of Crawley.  I guess I'd have to make it all much more airtight.  Is this not also a problem for you?

Not very air tight is probably better as it will prevent built up of humidity so should help.

Archived