Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storing Telescope

I just bought an Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian.  I know that during the winter time especially you have to cool the mirrors by having the telescope outside long enough they normalize to the temperature outside.

I live in the Pacific NW in the USA (WA/OR).  We have a pretty mild climate.  Summers average highs are around 85 degrees (but we can get to 100 with some spikes) .  In the Winter our average lows are around 35 degrees (but we can get down to like 15 degrees in spikes).

My question is about storing the telescope.  Our garage is dry and insulated but being a garage it does fluctuate closer to the temperature outside because we do not have any heating ducts going to it.

Can a telescope be safely stored in a dry garage but not temperature regulated ?  Or will the fluctuation of temperatures harm the telescope and/or mirrors?

If it can, it would make it a lot easier to prepare for a night of viewing since the telescope will be a lot closer to the outside temperature before we even start (plus with the size of the scope it is easier to store out there). 

1 hour ago, Hobbes_Is_Real said:

Can a telescope be safely stored in a dry garage but not temperature regulated ?  Or will the fluctuation of temperatures harm the telescope and/or mirrors?

If it can, it would make it a lot easier to prepare for a night of viewing since the telescope will be a lot closer to the outside temperature before we even start (plus with the size of the scope it is easier to store out there). 

A dry room is ideal, humidity causes condensation, which catches dirt and makes it stick to the optics after it dries up. The changes in temperature do no harm to optics.

And keeping the scope as close as possible to outside temperature is good, most of those who can do that do it, and usually by keeping it in the garage.

I agree with all of the above - as long as the mirror is kept mostly dry and relatively dust free, it is fine.  The only real damage is when the mirror is left in a damp environment for weeks at a time.  Mould can develop on the mirror which is almost impossible to remove.  Most of us in the UK's damp climate have the Dob as an objet d'art somewhere inside the house.  Our partners can differ on that description. ?

I have stored assorted scopes (including newts) and other astro gear in my shed (observatory) and garage for years.
Slight loss of 'bright and shiny' on exposed metalwork but no issues with glassware.

It is worth remembering that a house has more moisture in the air than a shed or garage.
It is warmer which promotes mould growth, and is full of people breathing out water vapour, cooking, etc.
When you bring in a scope from the cold, you get loads of condensation.

Hope this is useful. David.

Archived