NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade Lightbridge 16" Observation report as of 31.10.2008

Doc

Meade lightbridge 16" F4.5 FL 1829

Seeing Mag 3.8

Started 20.00

I have recently re collimated my LB with a Baader laser collimator and was eager to test some double stars.

The first target was the the famous Epsilon Lyrae the famous "Double- Double". All four stars are fifth-magnitude. The two principal stars form a very wide binary with a separation of 208". Each star is itself a double Epsilon1A-Epsilon1B is a slow binary with 1165 year orbit: 5.0, 6.1; PA 350º and separation 2.6". Epsilon2C-Epsilon2D is about twice as fast, with a period of 585 years: 5.2, 5.5; PA 83.5º, separation 2.3". I tried splitting these using a 25mm TAL at x73 first and just could not get a clean split. Even with my 15mm Kellner it was still two elongated stars. In my 8mm Hyperion at X228 it was a probable split.

I defocused the star and could see alot of thermal activity in the star so came to the conclusion that the scope was not properly cooled.

Next on my list was Beta Cygnus it forms an extraordinary binary. They are a very colourful pair and in my scope look yellow and blue. The components are quite wide, making it a easy split in my 25mm TAL at x73. Component A is mag 3 and component B mag 5 and separation 34.3".

Staying in Cygnus I tried splitting Delta Cygni , it is as double star with an orbit of 828 years. Presently the values are 2.9, 6.3 with a seperation of 2.5". I tried all different combination of eyepieces but once again could not confirm a split. Is 2.5 " to harder split for my scope?

I then swung the scope Eastwards towards Perseus and found Eta Persei. This is triple star. In my 21mm Hyperion I could make out that AB are yellow and blue. This was a very attractive triple and easily split in my 21mm at x87. Presently the values are AB 3.8, 8.5, separation 28.3" AC 9.8 separation 66.6"

Next was Zeta Persei, this is a multiple system. Present values are AB 2.9, 9.5 and separation 12.9". This was an easy split in my 25mm TAL. C is a dim 11.3 and separation 32.8". Again an easy split but due to it's magnitude a pretty hard object to see. D is 9.5 and 94.2" away from A. No colour was detected in any of these stars.

14 Auriga was the next target, is a multiple double. The primary is mag 5, with three companions AB mag 11, seperation 11", AC mag 7.4 seperation 15" AD mag 10 seperation 7.7". This is a great multiple star and was easily split in my 21mm Hyperion at x87. No colour was detected.

Theta Auriga was next a very bright double star. The primary star is mag 2.6 and it's companion mag 7.1 the separation is listed as 3.6". I think due to the brightness of the primary star this made splitting very hard indeed. in my 8mm Hyperion at x228 I just detect a visible black space between stars but only when seeing allowed, mostly the stars were elongated.

30 Taurus was next It's located deep under the Pleiades west of the main figure of the Bull. The main star is blue and the companion is red. A is mag 5 and B is mag 10 and are sperated by 10" Very attractive double and easily seperated by my 25mm TAL at x73.

By now the scope had been outside for 2 hours so decided to have another go at the "Double Double" This time I could make out the split in my 10mm TAL at x182 and even just see the split in my 21mm Hyperion. So cooling conditions really have an effect on splitting doubles. I'm still not 100% sure my collimation is bang on.

By now I was fed up with splitting doubles so went for a tour around Cygnus.

First captured the M29. The area around Gamma Cygnus is full of stars and I spent a good 45 minutes just touring around looking at the numerous open clusters. M29 is lovely with eight stars standng out against quite a few dimmer stars.

To mention a few I saw Berk 86 a great looking open cluster and just to it's west vdB 130 another very dim but attractive open cluster.

Sweeping a little down I captured NGC 6883 and Biur 6, these clusters are just full of really dim mag 10 stars.

Three degrees west of Biur 6 is a fantastic open cluster called Basel 6 all the stars are about mag 8 and make up an arrowhead design. Looks very pretty.

Moved down to Beta Cycnus the famous Albireo. This was as gorgeous as ever such a colour difference it's amazing.

Over to NGC 6826 Blinking Nebula in Cygnus . At Mag 8 I thought it would stand out but I couldn't find it. Swept the area for a good 15 minutes.

Then tried to find the M74 in Pisces. Well I was definetly in the right area, but saw nothing. Tried sweeping area in both high power and low power eyepieces but nothing revealed itself. The galaxy has a surface brightness of mag 14 so maybe need a darker site.

Well it was getting very cold now and time was 23.30 so decided it was time for bed.

Hi Doc - thanks for a very full report. Some good work on double stars. I had a good night too, although sky conditions were not great. Hope to write up the report soon. I've put my bino session on already from this AM!

Thanks again.

Ed

Archived