Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

yours truly in the cold

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting to see what it will do really. I've looked at Saturn through it, tried the webcam as well, and stuck the DSLR on it too. I haven't had the sky to do any comparisons to the other toys yet and, with the HEQ5 issues I haven't got it up to full speed.

Initial reactions are that aiming is far harder than with the shorter focal lengths as the FOV is so much smaller. The finderscope needs properly setting up, much more accuracy is needed than with the faster 'scopes and I feel that it wasn't in the groove properly as it went off line during my one try of it. This is more likely to be operator error, or could even be the effects of cooling down changing the alignment somehow. This I need to check out.

When trying to centre a star for setting up the GOTO alignment my problem was with choosing which of the several stars is the correct aim point as there was more than one probable candidate. I think that this was also a finderscope problem so I'm on it.

The Moontage in the Lunar section was done with the OMC and the D50 DSLR, reduced massively in scale after stitching the sections together.

Report will be posted when the sky comes back.

Captain Chaos

Archived