Some new objects observed : 300p goto dob

PaulM

Sun 28th - after the threat of clouds and with the clocks going back started earlier at 20:00 and ended around 22:45

Positioned the scope so it had the SE to the W covered

Did a little tour of familiar objects first before looking at some new ones before the moon got too high such as : M27 \ M57 \ M13 \ M92 \ M31

Below are new objects I observed. Tonight decided to not use he tablet \ Sky Safari and bluetooth to guide the scope so I wasn't looking at screens and impacting my dark adaptation, used the Sky Atlas instead

NGC7662 - Blue Snowball planetary nebula - Looks like a vibrant blue star in viewfinder. 25mm - small blue disc discernible. 15mm - some hints of structure visible. 8mm - lose the hints of structure - best in 15mm

M2 - globular cluster - Can see in finder. 25mm - very small dense collection of stars, unable to view in other eyepieces as disappeared behind trees

Uranus - in the 8mm EP I could see a point of light a distance away from the main disc to the north east  through the EP, looking at this tool it seems to indicate it may have been Oberon but I couldn't see any of the other moons https://s22380.pcdn.co/wp-content/plugins/observing-tools/uranus_moons/uranian.html - would be nice if someone could confirm it was

15 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Try for the Cat’s Eye planetary nebula in Draco. Most nights it really does live up to its name. Nice wee haul there. :) 

Thanks - have observed the cats eye and your right is a striking object to observe well worth looking for

Excellent report :)

I managed to see a couple of Uranian moons last night with my 12" dob - Titania (mag13.9) and Oberon (mag 14.1). Their positions seemed to correspond with what Cartes du Ciel was showing (consulted after making the observations !). Here are the Uranian moon positions for last night (newtonian view):

uranus281018.jpg

Archived