Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 205 (M 110) - take 2 ** data added **

wimvb

Ngc 205 (M110) hardly ever gets centre stage, even though this region near the Andromeda galaxy has some interesting features. There is a weak connecting "bridge" between this satellite galaxy and its big neighbour. The side pointing away from M31 has a slightly warped halo. The galaxy also has very weak dark structures near its core, as well as a few star forming regions.

Last year I imaged this galaxy from the suburbs. Now that I've moved to a darker location, I decided to redo this target.

2017 version:

2018 version:

M110_RGB_r.thumb.jpg.85ceb95b27191aec0314143e95afdb12.jpg

(click on the image to enlarge)

SW 150PDS on AZ EQ6, ASI174MM cooled cmos at -15 C, gain 130 (2 e/adu)

• RGB: 10 x 180 s each
  • L: 32 x 120 s

Processed in pixinsight

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added data that was captured the night after:

L: +36 x 120 s

RGB: +10 x 180 s each

The framing wasn't the same, and rather than losing the edges, I opted for a "semi-mosaic", giving a slightly larger field of view.

M110_mosaic_LRGB_enh_lhe.thumb.jpg.b7ea74440d2544d99f9efa6148250977.jpg

It really shines through that you are now at a much darker site. And excellent framing. For some reason M31 is immedeately recognisible even if we only see a fration of it. And who cannot like that poor little galaxy that is being slowly sucked into it?

Actually, that fatal attraction is so clear in your image that I think you should submit it to APOD - I am sure the NASA astronomers could make an interesting story about it.

Thanks Göran, I'll look into it. I actually have more data on my hard drive. The day after I collected this data, I collected 50 L subs (and 3 x 10 colour subs). Unfortunately these were slightly rotated, so combining with the original 32 L subs would mean I'd have to crop a lot. But I'll process the newer subs and see which image comes out best.

That turned out to be a success Wim! I compared the images, and as Göran said, it really shines from the new location and has much less noise as well!

Great processing, I see the dark structure within the galaxy.

Archived