SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

RGB Filter Size for CMOS Camera?

So, a few months ago I did my first plunge in investing in a dedicated astronomy camera. I went with the "ZWO ASI 183MM", and it has been great exploring the capabilities of such cameras. I did buy a 3.5 nm HA Baader filter with it, though a 2 inch one, because the sized for this particular filter was limited.
But now I am starting to consider actually getting the RGB filters for it. Mono images has their own charm, but I will forever love color images. So which size do you recon that I should go for, to be on the safe side of vignetting.
I've tried using a calculator, and the recommended minimum filter size came to be 19.44 mm (keeping in mind that I don't know the exact distance the filter would be to the sensor). By this, regular 1.25 inch filters should be enough. But as it often goes to show, what seems to work in theory might not work in practice.

So, what would YOU guys go for, if you had this setup? And is there anything else worth considering? 

Skywatcher 150PDS
ZWO ASI 183MM
(ZWO Mini EFW or Regular EFW, depending on filter size).
Baader filters.
Explore Scientific Coma Corrector

Cheers from Denmark!

///Mathias M.

4 minutes ago, Adam J said:

1.25 are easily ok. 

Thank you, that was all I wanted to hear, as the mini EFW will be enough for my needs then! :) Both minimizing the amount of weight I add, and the amount of bucks spend! ;)

Just curious though. Says in your footer that you use 2'' filters, and the ASI1600mm. Is that sensor so much larger that they are needed, are they for another camera or simply to future-proof? :)

I have same camera, Astrodon 1.25 lrgb filters in Atik EFW3 with 2" to 1,25" adapters. Using a Celestron C11 with Celestron Dew Shield I do get vignetting but I use flats to remove it easily.

Here is a link to my M1 Crab Nebula taken 7 Oct 18. The camera performs great. Its the guy processing that lets the image down ????

Crab Nebua M1 using ZWO ASI183mm Pro with 1.25" RGB filters.

Archived