Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro Imaging scope and gear

Hi Guys and Gals,

Looking to get set up with AP equipment.

I have in mind the following but am not limited to and am open to suggestions critiques ect...

https://binocentral.com.au/product/skywatcher-ed-80-black-diamond-ota-only/

https://binocentral.com.au/product/celestron-omni-xlt-150r-refractor-telescope/

https://binocentral.com.au/product/skywatcher-esprit-80mm-super-apo-ota-telescope/

and also this mount,     https://binocentral.com.au/product/saxon-heq5-pro-goto-mount-with-steel-tripod/

also looking to do a bit of Planetary imaging, I have a 10" Dob and some decent Eye pieces. What else would I need to get some good images of our local celestial bodies?

not knowing much this is a stab in the dark for me and will also need a few extra bits ie: CCD camera ect, I have a Canon DSLR I am borrowing at the moment but key work is borrowing haha

Thanks for looking!!

Pickers

Pickers

Welcome from land down under

Been down the same track as you

Started out with Skywatcher 10" collapsible dob, and migrated to Skywatcher ED80 on a EQ5 mount

Ordered a HEQ5 mount from local astronomy shop, when got the ED80, and was told be another month or so, before would arrive, and took EQ5, instead, as was available

Like you already had an assortment of eyepieces for the dob

Use a Canon 600D camera for imaging

Attached image shows my ED80 with solar filter on EQ5 mount

Also recently got the Wi-Fi adaptor, and downloaded SynScan App

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

SynScan Wi-Fi adapter.jpg..jpg

Screenshot SynScan APP.jpg

Hi, Pickers, and welcome to SGL.

I would make this your first purchase. AP is a money-pit for the unwary and that book will save you a lot of money & heartache in the long run.

The next thing I would say is that planetary imaging is usually done with a webcam - take a short video of the planet and then use this program (free) to automatically select, stack and sharpen the result. Individual frames of planets will always be unsatisfying, but this process can build up a very impressive result. Downside - you need to be able to track the planet while you are taking the video (not perfectly, but keep it in the [often small] frame). As such, if your dob is not a tracking model, that means manual tracking, using the image on your lappy rather than looking in the eyepiece. Not the easiest procedure, but possible with practice.

Thanks for the responses!

I'm in Perth so loving the dark sky's Cletrac ?  Thanks for the info, I was heading in the direction of the ED80 for sure. I will take a look at the EQ5 too while I'm at it.

I'm currently borrowing a 6D Canon but the 600D was what I was thinking for a permanent solution!

@Demonperformer Cheers for the heads up I actual have ordered that but am awaiting it's arrival and thought I would pick some more experienced minds while I wait haha

My Dob is a manual so will need to learn nice slow movements ? 

16 hours ago, Pickers84 said:

@cletrac1922 is your solar filter home made?

No

Commercial, have updated to glass one

With your dob can make a solar filter

The hard plastic cover has a removable 2" hole cover

Just sticky tape Baade visual film underside, and place hard cover top of the scope

Smaller hole reduces light coming into the dob

John

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 04:30, cletrac1922 said:

No

Commercial, have updated to glass one

With your dob can make a solar filter

The hard plastic cover has a removable 2" hole cover

Just sticky tape Baade visual film underside, and place hard cover top of the scope

Smaller hole reduces light coming into the dob

John

That's great thanks John! I will order some online, I have been dying to monitor the sun.

Adam

Archived