Andromeda in Narrowband - Need advise :)

Hi all,

I know, NB AP is not really for galaxies, but.... I was not able to stop my self and check what I can get as a result :)

And I was "a bit" amazed! :) Image hooked me up, - will need to return and collect more data! :)

The one below is just 10x300s HA and OIII each BINx1 (100min in total) - Combined into simple HOO.

I do have SII also, but was not able to use it properly....

I would be grateful for any advise on how to get more detail from it on PI. :) and probably on imaging.

All done via 130PDS and ASI1600MM Pro, Baader 7nm Filters.

(my work-flow in PI was quite simple, - Crop, Dynamic Background Extraction, TGV Noise reduction, Manual Stretch, Curves T,

Pixel Math>HOO, Dynamic Background Extraction again,  Color Calibration, Color Mask Script and used Masks for Curves Transf, 

LocalHystogram Transform, HDRMultiscale, Extracted L, used L in  LRGB combination Chrom.NoiseReduction, BlackStructure Script.)

My stacks are here 

Andromeda in Narroband - HOO

Could you put your data up in FITS or TIFF format?

I recently took some Ha on this and got very pleasing results when I blended it with RGB data.  I didn't try the O and S, so it would be interesting to have a play.

45 minutes ago, don4l said:

Could you put your data up in FITS or TIFF format?

I recently took some Ha on this and got very pleasing results when I blended it with RGB data.  I didn't try the O and S, so it would be interesting to have a play.

Uploading,

check the same link after 1 hour or 2 :( Gdrive takes it slowly
P.S.

Sorry, but I will not have enough space for calibration files ;(
P.P.S 

in my opinion, SII are useless in this particular case....

That G Drive looks awful!  ?

I cannot see what files are there.  I clicked on the Ha folder and it said "zipping files".  The message stayed there  for several minutes and nothing seemed to happen.

How big are the files?

You have great definition in the dust lanes.   I'll try getting some S and O next time we have a clear sky.

It was very interesting to play with some data from a different camera.  I can now see what people mean by "low noise" when they talk about cmos cameras.

I didn't use the SII data at all.  There wasn't anything there that would add anything to the image.  I get the strong  impression that thin cloud had appeared by the time that you took these shots.  However, it doesn't look like there was anything there worth getting anyway.

I think that I have ended up doing more or less the same that you did. 

There is almost no difference in the data between the dimmer parts of the galaxy and the background - so they cannot be separated without cheating.  I wasn't able to recreate the contrast that your processing got in the dust lanes.

I did cheat a bit and added a hint of blue to ngc206.

ColourM31-1-1.jpg

@don4l :) Very nice

All in all I like you way more than mine  ;)

But I would blend my Core into yours for perfectness... :)

by the way, have you used PI? if yes, how have you managed to separate NGC206????

P.S. that Core structure I produced, actually was highlighted by PI BlackStructure Script, - in other words, it was a small cheating  also :)

P.P.S. image was taken from London.... So my noise level is not the best example, - especially in OIII.

I don't use PI.  I tried it about 8 years ago and I didn't get on with it. 

To highlight NGC206 I simply created a mask  in Picture Window Pro and used it to boost the blue channel.

The procedure was as follows:-

With the Image open I clicked "Mask->New".  I then placed a small oval around NGC206 and clicked "Apply".  I blurred this by 40 pixels and clicked "OK".  Blurring the mask meant that the effect was not sudden enough to be very noticeable.  This created the mask.

I then adjusted the Blue in the image using the mask, so that only the area covered by the mask was affected.

2 hours ago, don4l said:

You could try getting a bit of broadband.

I noticed a bit of vignetting in your subs.  Did you use flat fields?

Good luck.  I look forward to the results.

Unfortunately... I spent all I could on NB set up and have no filters for BroadBand ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived