NEQ6 PRO Go-To Equatorial Mount what power pack is best please

Hello to all, new here but, not to astronomy now some 40 years on; my question is a simple one regarding powering the EQ6 mount; the ones sold as per premium brands are as usual, based on extra for the sack of a name!!!!!, so on to my question.

What is the amp and watt rating for the needed 12 volt DC pack required to power up said EQ6 mount please; Rother Valley optics sell the main brand for at most £29.99 ??,  but as per usual, one can get way many other brand and just as good and reliable at way lower costs, so, if some very kind person could give me the technical data that i require, i will be very grateful; have looked over the infomation PDF for said mount but, not to sure still on what i would need........

Many grateful thanks and kindest regards to all....................................Tom..................aka McKinnell.......

Hi Tom, welcome to SGL.

Whichever power supply you choose, make sure that it is able to supply a regulated voltage and I would say a minimum of 5A (70W or so at 13.8V).

The PSU must be ok to supply regulated voltage at high inrush current, as that will be when the mount first starts slewing.

If both axis are slewing together, I would think a steady 2-5A is drawn.

I use a 13.8V 20A PSU similar to this one -> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-20A-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-for-LED-Light-StripCCTV-PSU/323420835418?epid=18023227355&hash=item4b4d624e5a:g:l94AAOSwtgFbh4Ry

on my AZ-EQ6 and it's perfectly fine. I also run the focuser and dew heaters from the same output and no issues in a couple of years.

I have enclosed it in an ABS case with ventilation and not had an issue.

Once thing for sure, is if you don't fully understand how PSUs work, do not risk a cheap option as this could damage your mount.

£30 on a branded PSU designed for this mount is perfectly fine.

Check the PSUs available at FLO.

1 hour ago, Jonk said:

Check the PSUs available at FLO.

I used a Celestron Powertank, and then a 12v Leisure battery.... but always had some issue with long term usage. ie. subs sequence lasting 4-5 hours on a cold Winters night.

I finally went 'mains' and bought one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/nevada-ps-08-6a-8a-regulated-linear-power-supply.html

with a 1 to 4 12V splitter and have never looked back.  Fantastic.

Just be careful on very 'dewy' nights or with the potential for rain.  Have a suitable box /  protective frame etc...

Sean

Thanks both, BTW, where did you source your plug and cable to go to the EQ6 from said power packs/PSU from?; i build computer systems well just stopped as now, 15+ systems and helped others with theirs, as such, am ok with PSU's it is that i understand the values needed for PC systems, but, wanted to know what the score was so to speak with power packs/PSU for the EQ6, hope that is understandable lol lol, hate typing what i am thinking, quite often the two get garbled with me !!!!!??............ 

Many grateful thanks and kindest regards to all..........Tom.........aka McKinnell.

PS..       The plug end on the Rother Valley Optics power pack looks like a typical small round plug type as found on rears of external HDD etc etc, this seems at odds with the power input socket of the EQ6????, see, i said i was stupid when a get away from computer systems lol lol lol...........

Rother Valley Optic

It's not always easy to write what you're thinking, but sometimes it's probably a good idea!

The cable / plug that came with my mount had a cigarette lighter type plug on one end. I cut this off and hardwired to the PSU terminals.

If you purchase a dedicated PSU from FLO or supplier of your choice, then you should have the correct plug fitted already.

I read from your initial post that you have the mount but no PSU?

Jonk,  Hi mate, no EQ6 as yet, sorry if my post seemed to suggest i had already purchased the mount, no, not yet, this is why i am asking this advice so as when i get the mount and scope, i will have a good idea as to what i am doing; you said the type of box you have placed your PSU into an ABS case, how have you secured a good and safe earthing which is  required to do ????..... 

Many grateful thanks and kindest regards to all..........Tom.........aka McKinnell.

The PSU is earthed at the mains in connection, and is secured to the ABS case using cable ties. The metal case is connected internally to the main earth.

There's no potential for the metal case of the PSU to be touched by me as it's completely enclosed in the ABS box.

Archived