NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Last Saturday

The predicted seeing was to be no better than fair but I set up my Tasco 60mm f/12 anyway, and it turned out to be rather more like good, instead. 

I observed Venus, Jupiter, the Moon, Saturn and Mars, and was pleased with all except Mars. At this aperture there was simply no markings to be seen after the dust storms during this apparition.

Still, a well-spent hour or so, in my estimation.

The Towa-made Tasco was a "road find" during my time with the state road department.

IMGP2579 - Copy.JPG

IMGP2585 - Copy.JPG

IMGP2583 - Copy.JPG

The early Tasco telescopes were very good. I used to own a Tasco 4ETE.   

• 40x magnification
  • 40mm objective
  • no R&P or helecal focus, (just a slide focus tube)
  • no interchangable eyepieces
  • no finderscope or RDF
  • 10 year guarentee/warrantee, (the dew shield got dented when it was about seven years and got a 'free' replacement)

This was my first telescope. It was a 15th birthday from my father & step-mother. It gave me the start into this wonderful hobby. It gave views me my first views of the Moon, Jupiter & Saturn. Great for sunspot projection. My grandfather, (on my mothers side), made a tripod with longer legs from some galvanised trunking/tube, (I think this is when the dew shield got dented). I wish I had kept it now, as I reckon I could have upgraded the focus tube to a 0.965"-1.25" eyepiece holder, (it would be a 'killer' with my TeleVue or Circle-T glass). 

Archived