Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Boxy stars when 2x2 at 2.47arcs/pix

kirkster501

Hi all, 

I binned 2x2 on my RGB data imaging at 2.47arc/pixel rig (FSQ85 and 8300 sensor).  The smaller stars look very boxy or like small cubes and this translates over to the RGB chrominance image.  The Lum 1x1 does not suffer this.

What do you think i need to do?  I have not yet processed this boxy RGB as i wondered what to do?  Delete the RGB it and start again at 1x1?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Hi all, 

I binned 2x2 on my RGB data imaging at 2.47arc/pixel rig (FSQ85 and 8300 sensor).  The smaller stars look very boxy or like small cubes and this translates over to the RGB chrominance image.  The Lum 1x1 does not suffer this.

What do you think i need to do?  I have not yet processed this boxy RGB as i wondered what to do?  Delete the RGB it and start again at 1x1?

Thanks

I assume you mean that your colour was shot at 4.94"PP? That's 2.47 binned 2x2. Sure, it will look blocky at that but the luminance will impose its own brightnesses on the RGB and smooth it out. I'd give it a try - but for all that I don't like binning colour. It just never quite does it for me, even at high res, though that may be my fault.

Olly

Thanks Olly. Yep, I never bin at all any more. One set of bias, darks and flats keeps things simple and there’s still detail in the RGB of course. 

This refers to a large archived data set of M81 amounting to 12 hours of subs I grabbed in Feb that I don’t want to waste and I was starting to process. 

Yes of course it will be 4.94PP!

2 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Thanks Olly. Yep, I never bin at all any more. One set of bias, darks and flats keeps things simple and there’s still data in the RGB of course. 

This refers to a large archived data set of M81 amounting to 12 hours of subs I grabbed in Feb that I don’t want to waste and I was starting to process. 

Yes of course it will be 4.94PP!

I think the lum will sort it out. Don't throw it away!!!

Olly

Archived