Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 4SE visual back?

This subject has been raised before but just thought it would be useful to clarify things in my mind if possible. I have a 4SE and optically its good. It has its own built in diagonal using a flip mirror system with a visual port in the usual Mak position to which an adapter with a T2 thread  (which came with the scope) can be connected to which a camera can be attached. That's all good but with one slight niggle, the Celestron  adapter by its construction gives an effectively vignetted aperture. As others have no doubt considered I am looking at the possibility of a proper visual back for the 4SE. Baader do an adapter as linked below which converts the 35mm threaded 4SE rear port to a T2 or SCT thread. With one of these I could then, I assume, attach a T2 visual back to which I could then  attach my Circle T 1.25" prism diagonal. Alternatively I am thinking that instead of the T2 visual back I could  simply buy a 2" SCT diagonal which would give me other options to play with although I realise the 4SE would not give me much if any extra fov with a 2" EP, plus there is the additional size/weight of a 2" diagonal. A nagging worry is that although the Mak focuser has much more travel than a "normal" focuser am I likely to encounter focussing issues?

The point of this, ultimatelty worthwhile or not, is to be able to  quickly switch between a finder EP and a higher power one. It would come at a price but it seems a shame to have a second visual port and not use it. Can anyone share any thoughts on this  or is it just a bad idea.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-universal-photo-adapter.html

Archived