Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Williams Optics GT102 / FLT132 Refractor Advice

I got into Astrophotography earlier in the year and have really enjoyed the very steep learning curve so far.  I was lucky enough to start off with a Celestron 8HD and Skywatcher Esprit 80D on a Celestron AVX mount and have had some great results from both.  I keep these telescopes at my home in France (where the nights tend to be a lot clearer!)  I'm now looking to get a scope for use in the UK over the winter but want something that isn't going to replicate my other kit. 

I've been looking at the Williams Optics  GT102 (or the FLT132 if I can justify the extra price tag....).  My current thinking is that one of these would sit nicely between my existing scopes and their FOV for AP.  I'm using an unmodded DSLR at the moment but will probably move to CCD dedicated mono unit later in the year.  FOV's via the DSLR are approx. 190 arcmins for the 80ED and 54 arcmins for the Edge 8HD with field flattener/ reducer.  If I've done my sums right I think the WO GT102 would give me a FOV of about 110 arcmins so sit nicely between the two existing scopes?

I've really enjoyed using the Esprit 80ED and been pleased with the initial results so like the idea of a larger refractor combined with a Decent mono CCD later.

Would be great to hear thoughts from the forum on the Williams Optics units and whether there are any others I should consider.

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 18:12, Mogfor said:

I got into Astrophotography earlier in the year and have really enjoyed the very steep learning curve so far.  I was lucky enough to start off with a Celestron 8HD and Skywatcher Esprit 80D on a Celestron AVX mount and have had some great results from both.  I keep these telescopes at my home in France (where the nights tend to be a lot clearer!)  I'm now looking to get a scope for use in the UK over the winter but want something that isn't going to replicate my other kit. 

I've been looking at the Williams Optics  GT102 (or the FLT132 if I can justify the extra price tag....).  My current thinking is that one of these would sit nicely between my existing scopes and their FOV for AP.  I'm using an unmodded DSLR at the moment but will probably move to CCD dedicated mono unit later in the year.  FOV's via the DSLR are approx. 190 arcmins for the 80ED and 54 arcmins for the Edge 8HD with field flattener/ reducer.  If I've done my sums right I think the WO GT102 would give me a FOV of about 110 arcmins so sit nicely between the two existing scopes?

I've really enjoyed using the Esprit 80ED and been pleased with the initial results so like the idea of a larger refractor combined with a Decent mono CCD later.

Would be great to hear thoughts from the forum on the Williams Optics units and whether there are any others I should consider.

Nobody got any experience of Williams Optics??….

I use a WOZS71, but don't expect anything too technical from me.  I find the optics to be very good and faster than my SW scopes.  My gripes with the WO scopes I have used (I previously owned a Megrez72)  is that mainly of design.

a) Neither of mine came with a finderscope or mounting brackets and therefore mounting a finderscope/finderguider caused me some problems.  (I think some models do have these though). 

b) They came with a silly little foot which gives little movement in order to balance, so had to mount it on a longer dovetail.  

c) With the longer dovetail on, there was hardly any room to get my fingers in to tighten or untighten the focus locking nut.  (It is possible to get around this by mounting the scope upside down).

d) The retracting Dew shield has on odd occasions retracted during an imaging run taking the dew heaters with it so it was heating the wrong place.  

I still use this scope as I love the optics, but these days I mount it piggy back on my ED80 in a SW Guidescope mount.  

1 hour ago, carastro said:

I use a WOZS71, but don't expect anything too technical from me.  I find the optics to be very good and faster than my SW scopes.  My gripes with the WO scopes I have used (I previously owned a Megrez72)  is that mainly of design.

a) Neither of mine came with a finderscope or mounting brackets and therefore mounting a finderscope/finderguider caused me some problems.  (I think some models do have these though). 

b) They came with a silly little foot which gives little movement in order to balance, so had to mount it on a longer dovetail.  

c) With the longer dovetail on, there was hardly any room to get my fingers in to tighten or untighten the focus locking nut.  (It is possible to get around this by mounting the scope upside down).

d) The retracting Dew shield has on odd occasions retracted during an imaging run taking the dew heaters with it so it was heating the wrong place.  

I still use this scope as I love the optics, but these days I mount it piggy back on my ED80 in a SW Guidescope mount.  

Thanks very much, will try and find out from the retailer if there are similar issues on the larger scopes....

Oh I forgot, but it's probably irrelevant now.  The focus used to slip on my Megrez 72 which as a beginner nearly drove me mad as I couldn't understand why my images were going out of focus when I knew I had focussed and tightened the nut.

I was reassured before I bought the WOZS71 that this slipping issue had been fixed by WO and they guaranteed it would not happen with the WO71 - which is hasn't I am relieved to say - but might be one more thing worth mentioning when you speak to the retailer.

Carole 

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:38, carastro said:

Oh I forgot, but it's probably irrelevant now.  The focus used to slip on my Megrez 72 which as a beginner nearly drove me mad as I couldn't understand why my images were going out of focus when I knew I had focussed and tightened the nut.

I was reassured before I bought the WOZS71 that this slipping issue had been fixed by WO and they guaranteed it would not happen with the WO71 - which is hasn't I am relieved to say - but might be one more thing worth mentioning when you speak to the retailer.

Carole 

Thanks Carole,  since posting this I've been in discussion with a couple of retailers and one of them has suggested I have another look at the Sky Watcher Esprit ED120 - as I already have and like the ED80.  Noticed you've got one of these, how have you found it?

Archived