NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Helix Nebula - NGC 7293

johnfosteruk

This is compiled from a quick batch of data captured using two of Slooh's rigs on El Teide. The gear used was an 85mm Televue Refractor + SBIG ST-10XME and their 432mm Corrected Dall-Kirkham + FLI PL16803.

From each rig I had 3x40s L and 3x20s R, G & B. So that's 6 minutes total exposure. I plan to capture lots more data, reprocess and compare.

4766976_HelixNebula.png.940f3c8d31827802762447a3a9bdda5d.png

Looks great.  The nebula stands out nicely.  Did you calibrate?  There seems to be a haloish type feature around the nebula--comers are darker than the center.  I think if this was corrected the image would be even better.  That was an interesting combination of gear.  I would be interested to see a sub from each set up.

Rodd 

35 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Looks great.  The nebula stands out nicely.  Did you calibrate?  There seems to be a haloish type feature around the nebula--comers are darker than the center.  I think if this was corrected the image would be even better.  That was an interesting combination of gear.  I would be interested to see a sub from each set up.

Rodd 

The data comes from Slooh already calibrated, the halo is due to my ham handed processing. I think it’s the effect of a layer mask involving a heavy Gaussian blur after not cropping out edge artefacts from registration. If I’m honest I pushed it past the noise limit hence the need for the layer which caused the problem. Hence it shouldn’t be apparent in future iterations with more data.

unfortunately the Slooh TOS prohibit sharing FITS.

Archived