Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Advanced VX 8" EdgeHD Scope

9 hours ago, scitmon said:

I believe the HEQ5 is good for the ed80, but I would stump up extra for the Rowan Belt modded version https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-heq5-pro-with-rowan-belt-mod-upgrade.html.  I went for an AZEQ6 myself to future proof for any possible bigger telescopes I might want in the future.  No regrets with my choices, but it is a heavy piece of kit tho which is a down side when it comes to setting up.  

If you are in no rush, I would defiantly read the making every photon count book first.

Thanks scitmon -  yeah was defo thinking the modded version. I haven't read up about what it is and what it does yet.

Will take a look at that book - cheers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:45, DonLumioni74 said:

Thanks souls33k3r

I was looking at a specific Skywatcher scope a few years ago (can't remember which one) but someone suggested Celestron. Since then I've really fallen for the 8" HD model. I do have a nice set of Celestron 20 x 80 bins and last year purchased a Star Adventurer and have my Nikon D7100 with 150-500mm lens hooked up on it.

I'm thinking of leaving the SA setup as is and getting the Advanced VX 8" HD with a nice CCD camera. Have you ever looked into changing your scope to the F/2 configuration? I've read about it somewhere on the web.

I suppose I'm asking for my own sanity really, I want to make that step into owning a scope but I want to own something that a) I can use for AP b) I can entice the wife to come and look at my laptop and see some amazing DSO in the comfort of the log cabin c) that I won't need to upgrade to a better scope later on down the line.

I'm comfortable with the price of the scope and even the wife hasn't completely dismissed it out of hand so I think I'm on to a winner with the 8" HD!!

Hi I bought the exact same scope and mount setup in June after being in the same position as you and continually flip flopping on what to get...I bought from Tring Astronomy and they suggested I look at a small refractor at the same time as I'd find it easier to learn the craft with.  So on their recommendation I also ended up buying a Skywatcher ED80 refractor to use on the same AVX mount. 

I've spent all summer using both scopes and have to say that for DSO I've had more satisfying results with the smaller refractor.  I captured some (in my opinion as a beginner!) fantastic images of the moon and planets using the Edge 8HD but really struggled with accurate guiding for the longer exposures you need for DSO's. I'm planning to try and improve things with an Off Axis Guider over the winter but this just adds a lot more complexity and cost when you're first starting....  

By contrast I used a very simple guide scope and cheap guide camera on the 80mm Skywatcher Refractor and have achieved some really nice early results - It works much better for a lot of the bigger DSO's such as Andromeda, The Pleiades, Orion Nebula etc.

I think I'd have got quite disillusioned with the hobby if I'd just gone for the Edge HD on it's own but now I know the results I can get with a simpler setup I'm quite looking forward to the challenges of the Edge HD over the winter!

Hope this helps ?

Archived