NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spacer for ZWO120

Datalord

Measure from the Moravian sensor to the front face where it attaches to the ota, call this dimension A

Measure from that front face to the prism B

Measure from the prism to the top of the guidecam tube C

Insert the guidecam and measure from the top of the guidecam tube to the front of the guidecam case D

The guidecam sensor is 12.5mm from the front face.

A needs to equal B+C+D+12.5.

To make them equal you add a spacer to the guidecam or the Moravian path.

You could make a full size drawing if it helps you visualise the problem.

Michael 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Measure from the Moravian sensor to the front face where it attaches to the ota, call this dimension A

Measure from that front face to the prism B

Measure from the prism to the top of the guidecam tube C

Insert the guidecam and measure from the top of the guidecam tube to the front of the guidecam case D

The guidecam sensor is 12.5mm from the front face.

A needs to equal B+C+D+12.5.

To make them equal you add a spacer to the guidecam or the Moravian path.

You could make a full size drawing if it helps you visualise the problem.

Michael 

So, this makes total sense to me. This is what it really should be according to logic.

Moravian:

OAG_backfocus.png.bfa1727e429a5004a2160342837c4bfd.png

According to this, I should have 61.5mm backfocus. I can assure you I have tried absolutely everything, with every spacer known to mankind and absolutely nothing works.

The only kind of success I have had is with an eyepiece within 10mm of the prism. Otherwise, nothing.

Well why don't you measure whether it's 61.5 or not !!!

Without measring the light paths you can't hope to know what size spacer is required !

If A=61.5 then B+C+D +12.5 needs to be 61.5 too, if it's less you add a spacer, if it's more then you add a spacer to the Moravian to make it the same length as the guidecam path.

Michael 

Ok, I disassembled the entire thing. I thought I had an extra spacer for the g3, but it turns out to be a separate spacer for non-OAG mounting.

But, when I disassembled, I noticed that the the telescopes thread was protruding into the OAGs thread, which blocked the tiny eyepiece(camera)-holder from going fully into the OAG. Adding the holder first, I can insert it longer into the OAG, saving valuable mm at the cost of a very tight connection between camera and scope. This is a different problem I must handle somehow.

Anyways, with the new, low profile camera cap I bought, the new assembly, I got the following picture:

whoop_-_focus.thumb.png.05dbedfc752c064f900db8ecff21556d.png

Btw, I thinkn the focus distance is about 40mm, which doesn't match any other calculations, but if it works...

Archived