The Veil

astro mick

Hi.

I took this image earlier this week with my DSLR and ED80.

It was a very warm night along with a bright Moon.The temperature of the sensor read +25 degrees.so did,nt hold out much hope.

I shot 30x300 secs,and fully calibrated.

As expected i had a noise issue,and also gradients.

I could,nt push the proccessing too far as it soon degraded.

Anyway for whats it worth i,m posting it.

Cheers.

mick.

Veil Nebb.png

Mick,

this is a great target to image and you have captured a lot of details in the nebula despite the conditions you describe.

Now processing stars in an image is a subject I am currently researching and trying to improve upon. We all push to get the main subject processed and what I am now learning is that in the composition of the final image the way stars are developed makes a big difference as to how we respond to our final processed image.

Hope you don't mind but I've used your image as a test and run a reduce stars process to enhance the way we see the nebula rather than being overwhelmed in the field of stars , I also applied a bit of AstroFlat Pro and finished with HLVG - I use Photoshop plugins, so no dark arts, just Troy's Astro Actions at work :).  This is all a bit post-processing obviously and there are a lot of alternate ways to protect stars size and colour as you step through processing - I am still trying to work out how to do all that - hope you are ok with me using your image as a test and that you like what Ive done -never had the confidence to edit some one's posted work before - this is a first for me.

Bryan

865235581_VeilNebb_minstar_astroflat.png

Thanks guys.

Comments much appreciated.

Mick.

15 hours ago, BDL_Bug said:

Mick,

this is a great target to image and you have captured a lot of details in the nebula despite the conditions you describe.

Now processing stars in an image is a subject I am currently researching and trying to improve upon. We all push to get the main subject processed and what I am now learning is that in the composition of the final image the way stars are developed makes a big difference as to how we respond to our final processed image.

Hope you don't mind but I've used your image as a test and run a reduce stars process to enhance the way we see the nebula rather than being overwhelmed in the field of stars , I also applied a bit of AstroFlat Pro and finished with HLVG - I use Photoshop plugins, so no dark arts, just Troy's Astro Actions at work :).  This is all a bit post-processing obviously and there are a lot of alternate ways to protect stars size and colour as you step through processing - I am still trying to work out how to do all that - hope you are ok with me using your image as a test and that you like what Ive done -never had the confidence to edit some one's posted work before - this is a first for me.

Bryan

865235581_VeilNebb_minstar_astroflat.png

Hi Bryan.

Not at all,and may i say you have produced a very nice image.

Good luck with your endeavors,as this proccessing game can be extremely frustrating.

Mick.

Archived