Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone doing hydrogen line observing?

Hello, my name is Gabriel and I'm from Brazil. I would like to build a project to detect hydrogen line with SDR dongle, what materials do I need like LNA, band filters? You said you used line amplifiers, what is their model? What is the order of assembly of the equipment? When I set up my project, could you help me collect and analyze the data?

Hello, my name is Gabriel and I'm from Brazil. I would like to build a project to detect hydrogen line with SDR dongle, what materials do I need like LNA, band filters? You said you used line amplifiers, what is their model? What is the order of assembly of the equipment? When I set up my project, could you help me collect and analyze the data?

On 04/03/2019 at 19:31, Coto said:

Alright, so the engineers built the feed for me:

image2.jpg

image0.jpg

image3.jpg

image1.jpg

image4.jpg

Might not be a factory-level construction, but I'm very happy for just €35 (he told me the next one would cost €60 because it came out harder than he thought haha).

Question: Is it ok if I give it a good white paint (after a layer of primer paint)? I don't think I'll have any problem with reflectivity or something?

Where did you get this equipment built?

@gabrielxp46 First of all, no need to create a thousand posts. If you want to add something, you can edit your post. I will start writing a PDF with information regarding building a radio telescope and share it on my radio astronomy community forum soon: https://community.pictortelescope.com/ (I just created it, so not a lot of activity to see). I am definitely more active there and receive notifications, so I would encourage you to post these sorts of questions there as I will be able to respond quicker.

The feedhorn is galvanized steel, but any conductive metal will work (the more conductive it is, the better). I made my next horn antenna from aluminum (I got it custom designed by an engineering machine shop). Dimensions can be found here: https://github.com/0xCoto/PICTOR

I am just getting interested in radio astronomy.  I have an amateur radio background and we have cloud cover here most days and nights so it seems a good idea.  I am just starting to collect information and the gear I need and find out how it all works.

This discussion is just what I need, it is informative and also it is encouraging me to have a go.  I will have a look at the Pictor site too.

Thanks everyone!

Frank

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Kaffeedor said:

Hello everyone!

@Carl Reade

How did you attach the 'Sides' of the bi quad, to the main Plate? 

Did you bend it, or did you glue it, (if yes, with what did you glue it?).? 

Bcs I can't find any Conductive Glue for Metall! 

Greetings from Austria 

Fedor (aka. Kaffeedor) 

Hi Fedor basically I had to cut a hole in the centre of the plate and screw a small price of copper circuit board to a female N connector. So the screws go through the plate and N connector. The. I soldered a small price f hard coax to the copper plate using the correct spacing from the plate. Then I soldered the "bow to the coax. The top middle of the bow to the centre core and the bottom centre to the outer coax. As I used hard coax its outer is like copper tube and was enough to support the bow. It is far easier if you can get a piece of copper plate and solder a small copper pipe to it and then you just feed coax though it. The second pic is an easier way. I would also mention that you need to solder with a blowtorch to get enough heat and plumbing solder. Hope this makes sense. Carl.

IMG_20180909_125458.thumb.jpg.63092a6d5608a94ffbc0d689d8f5a790 (1).jpg

quad_close.jpg

14 hours ago, Kaffeedor said:

Oh sorry I meant this:

@Carl Reade

IMG_20191219_075447.jpg

Ahh it is thin so was able to bend it into shape.

On 17/12/2019 at 18:01, Kaffeedor said:

Hello everyone!

@Carl Reade

How did you attach the 'Sides' of the bi quad, to the main Plate? 

Did you bend it, or did you glue it, (if yes, with what did you glue it?).? 

Bcs I can't find any Conductive Glue for Metall! 

Greetings from Austria 

Fedor (aka. Kaffeedor)

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, UR8IP said:

Buy an aluminum pan of a suitable size, cut to a height of 50 mm. In the center, install the plug.

Hello @UR8IP

Why does it need to be aluminum? 

Since Copper is more conductive!

And does it need to be exactly 90° or can it be less?! 

Edited by Kaffeedor

On 12/01/2020 at 10:19, UR8IP said:

You should not install such expensive metal as a reflector. Copper is corroded. You can successfully apply a grid with a small cell. But in any case, you will need a device to adjust the irradiator.

@UR8IP Wdym? 

It is the feed, not the "Reflector" /dish?! 

And it wasn't that expensive. 

And for the Original question, I asked, I managed to bend it 90° with professional help, so this shouldn't be a Problem. 

It will work fine. I think what UR is saying is the plate on the feed is a reflector which it is but not the main reflector.

Copper will need sprayed with a coating to protect it from the weather. Keep us updated on the build.👍

• Like 1