SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Synguider 2 worth buying?

Hi. 

I am planning on getting a star adventurer and will hopefully use a dslr a a wo 61 when flo get more stock. I dont really want to get a laptop as its more money i have to spend. I just wanted to know how good the Synguider 2 is. What else do i need to purchase or is that all i need for guiding without a laptop? 

Many thanks 

I bought the Synguider 2 a few months ago because my old Synguider 1 exploded (don't use 12V input!). The new version is more sensitive than the old one and it sends correcting signals more frequently. I actually found it harder to set up because it is easy to overexpose the sensor. With some fiddling and good focusing it does work well. You will also need a guide scope for it. I use the ST80 and attach it using the Skywatcher guide-scope mount + FLO adapter plate. 

To summarise, the Synguider 2 is decent, I haven't been able to use it much in the past few months because of work commitments but I am happy with it. 

HTH Dan.

5 hours ago, spaceman_spiff said:

I bought the Synguider 2 a few months ago because my old Synguider 1 exploded (don't use 12V input!). The new version is more sensitive than the old one and it sends correcting signals more frequently. I actually found it harder to set up because it is easy to overexpose the sensor. With some fiddling and good focusing it does work well. You will also need a guide scope for it. I use the ST80 and attach it using the Skywatcher guide-scope mount + FLO adapter plate. 

To summarise, the Synguider 2 is decent, I haven't been able to use it much in the past few months because of work commitments but I am happy with it. 

HTH Dan.

Hi dan,

Thanks for the reply. What do you use to power the Synguider and also will the SA be able to cope with the weight of the st80? Im thinking i should just go with a heq5 mount.

13 hours ago, Olli said:

Hi dan,

Thanks for the reply. What do you use to power the Synguider and also will the SA be able to cope with the weight of the st80? Im thinking i should just go with a heq5 mount.

Hi Olli,

I use the 12V DC - 6V DC converter by HiTecastro plugged into a 230 AC-12V DC converter. It works well for the Synguider 2 but didn't work for the Synguider 1 (no idea why not...)

Not sure what SA is... but the HEQ5 should be able to handle your 130ps, ST80 and guide-scope mount easily. I know some people use a finder-guider set-up to save weight but have never used that so can't comment. I just know the ST80 works!

HTH Dan.

Archived