NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Pro, DSLR and Guide Scope

Hogarth

Hello Everyone.

I'm a total novice, so please be gentle with me and any links to the parts I need or images are greatly welcomed.

I'm not using a tube (yet, that will come I'm sure later this year), I'm moving up from a Star Adventurer and DSLR to a HEQ5 Pro and DSLR.

So today I took delivery of a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro mount  and I can happily mount my DSLR camera using a L bracket I have from an old Star Adventurer - all good... (see pic)

My problem is, what options do I have to guide a guide scope (also received today - Altair 60mm/GPCAM combo).. I've searched various posts, but can't seem to find an answer that suits. I've also seen a picture on this site, especially the bottom pic, but can't work out, what he's exactly done
https://www.briandorey.com/post/camera-mount-with-finder-scope-fitting-for-heq5-pro-mount

I've seen there are hotshoe adapters for my camera to mount a vixen type slot..(looks a tad odd, but is the only option I can see)

I've seen there are dual plate side by side adapters..

Are these my only options.

Pictures and links help me tremendously, as I can usually work stuff out, when I see it..

Thank you in advance for any help.. and please accept my apologies If I don't understand your response and ask more questions ?

new mount.jpg

If you can, turn the camera & Altair around, in that mount the Altair directly to the mount, then piggy back the camera on top.

The Altair won't need adjustable scope rings, it can be 'tied-down' to the dovetail bar. You just then need to mount the camera\lens combo on top.

Archived