Guide scope choice

Many imagers use a finder guider with the ed80, with good results. But if you plan to upgrade your scope to a longer fl at some point, an st80 for guide scope may be a better solution. With guiding equipment it's very much "if it ain't broke, ..."

The shorter fl of the guide scope makes it easier to find a suitable star. But a longer focal length can make guiding more accurate.

1 minute ago, wimvb said:

Many imagers use a finder guider with the ed80, with good results. But if you plan to upgrade your scope to a longer fl at some point, an st80 for guide scope may be a better solution. With guiding equipment it's very much "if it ain't broke, ..."

The shorter fl of the guide scope makes it easier to find a suitable star. But a longer focal length can make guiding more accurate.

i'm finding the mounting for the 9x50 a bit of a pain to focus, its kinda wobbly with the o-ring and one set of adjustment screws. im not planning on going to a longer focal length at the moment. i do have my skymax 90 which i'd like to mount on top or along side the ED80 at some point but not quite ready to try long exposures on that. 

The ed50 should be good enough for your current scope. I believe that the general rule is to have a guide pixel scale to be at most twice the imaging pixel scale. You just need to compare pixel size / fl for your imaging and guiding combination. I think that either one of your options should work. The st80 is a bit heavier and bulkier, but no problem for your mount. Imo, either one can give you good guiding.

Although I haven't been able to use it in anger yet, I have the 50mm Evoguide ready to go on my ED72 Scope and it is a very nice piece of kit. 

However, when I had my old ED80 I used an st80 on top with my 120mm and it worked a treat. You can get st80s second hand for around £70 so a lot cheaper than the Evoguide if budget is an issue. Bolt it down tight and you should have a problem. You will need an extension tube to focus with the zwo camera, but the Barlow that comes with the ST80 did the job well.

Yep, that's exactly what I did! You might need to get creative with the bolts you use as I have always found the rationale between choosing size and thread pitches infuriatingly bizarre! ?

And yep, changed up (down?) from ED80 to ED72! Largely to get a lighter rig and a wider field of view....upgraded to a larger sensor camera as well.

11 hours ago, spillage said:

I have two st80's that I use as guide scopes and find they do a great job. I use a steel bar and bolts to attach the st80 to the imaging scope to keep it nice and solid. 

So do I and one of them is guiding a 140mm refractor imaging at 0.9 arcseconds per pixel with no difficulty whatever. I make sure everything is tight and I used a lenseless Barlow body Araldited into the draw tube to hold the camera and get the backfocus. It must be at least three years since I did anything at all to this ST80 guidescope, including touching the focus - not that fine focus is a good thing in a guide system. (Source Craig Stark, author of PHD.)

I'm sure there are other alternatives but my pair of ST80s have been 'just doing it' for years.

Olly

Archived