Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More experiments, Daystar Quark Chromo and Lunt B400.

Guest chaz2b

Guest chaz2b

I've set the Quark on my Astro-Tech 90mm,with the Astro-Tech 2"Dielectric I couldn't get focus, so swapped it for an Orion star diagonal, got focus.. Yeay! Clouds turned up... Booo! Had a looksee through the Lunt on an Orion 80 shorttube, no contest really, Quark eats Lunt!!

Just want a nice cloudless day... Anytime soon ?.

Chaz

DSC_0254.JPG

DSC_0255.JPG

Are you using a B400 blocking filter behind a solar film filter over the aperture? The B400 filter is just a blocking filter, transmitting a band several nm wide. It is a so-called order sorting filter that selects the right maximum transmitted through a Fabry-Perot etalon. If you do not have an etalon (the most seriously expensive and important bit of a solar H-alpha scope) in the optical path, it could not possibly perform as well as a quark. If you do not have a solar film or similar filter in front of it, you could damage the B400 (and potentially your eyes.

Guest chaz2b

Without being professional about it,because I’m not,I’m a complete newbie! I’m only going by what I see and not what either could give potentially.

The B400 has a UV/IR cut filter in front of it.

The remark was meant with tongue in cheek .

As an aside,the quark was initially powered by a 30amp lipo through the 2amp port,(red/white gizmo below scope) and after half an hour still had not got the quark to go green,so had to power it through an extension lead and power unit,then it quickly went green.

chaz

Archived