Newbie to Astroimaging

Hi had a real interest in the night sky for many many years but never really had the time to do it, now 40 years later I have the time, so have purchased myself the Meade LX 85 ACF GOTO EQ Mount with 8”OTA , so soon arrival, but my main interest for the night sky is just not visual viewing but Astroimaging ( wanting to take pics of what I have seen) . Need major help with a budget camera , ( heard DSLR) are good , what set-up needed and then exposure and then how to produce end product , and any other tips for beginner Astroimaging,any help much appreciated. Thanks

1 hour ago, A Hendrie said:

Hi had a real interest in the night sky for many many years but never really had the time to do it, now 40 years later I have the time, so have purchased myself the Meade LX 85 ACF GOTO EQ Mount with 8”OTA , so soon arrival, but my main interest for the night sky is just not visual viewing but Astroimaging ( wanting to take pics of what I have seen) . Need major help with a budget camera , ( heard DSLR) are good , what set-up needed and then exposure and then how to produce end product , and any other tips for beginner Astroimaging,any help much appreciated. Thanks

With such a Focal Lenght, your targets should be Planets. You can start filming them quite cheaply, - do not go for DSLR, start with ASI224MC (color) - around £200, as for planetary imaging you will need to image as many pics per second as possible (Lucky Imaging). ASI will record videos in around 200 frames per sec.

Try recording some Moon and Planets ( you will not need guiding for it, GOTO motors will be enough).

Of course, you can try shooting DSO also, but in this case, Focal Length is your enemy, you will probably need to find Focal Reducer / Coma Corrector and ASI224MC will not be enough, - you will need super good guiding with such a focal Lenght, so you may use ASI224MC for guiding and look for any other cam for DSO, would suggest start from second hand Canon.

The golden rule in astro imaging is to research thoroughly before buying anything and to ignore sales blurbs entirely.

Steve Richards' book, recommended above, is certainly the right place to start.

I agree with Roland's point that the 8 inch SCT is far better suited to planetary than to deep sky imaging. You would be able to obtain deep sky images with it but it is better to start with a shorter focal length and faster F ratio. I'd check out the book because this will tell all.

Imaging isn't easy but but it's addictive!

Olly

Archived